Beekeeping Forums banner

Aloha from Oregon

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  jb63 
#1 ·
I saw the back of Iddee's tee-shirt and wanted to check it out.I live about 30 mi too close to Potland oops Portland. I caught 13 swarms for myself and 3 for friends this year.Now it's July' so let'em fly.

#4 ·
G3farms said:
Catch them, pinch the queen and add back to a weak hive to boost their numbers :
Or you could hive them in a swarm box to see how the queens perform after mating. If's they are up to form, you could use them to replace old worn out queens from other hives.

#7 ·
G3farms said:
.... some times I don't think too good.
Nothing wrong with your thinking. I love your brief and to the point answers. They are always on target. It's just that sometimes there are two targets and you're used to hitting the bull's eye with one gun. :hunter:

#11 ·
welcome aboard..

my inlaws 'were' originally from Oregon... one from Klamath Falls and the other from Portland. I guess the Portland one missed the pot connection since the only credit he got was building the atomic bomb, the magnatometer and the first Cat-Scan machine.

#13 ·
JB-- :wave:
mid August is right around the corner. Hope your not too busy to let us know how your holdings are doing.
When does your honey come running in your beautiful neck of the woods? I hope you aren't suffering from a dry spell like the fellows down south. :cry:

#16 ·
tecumseh said:
welcome aboard..

my inlaws 'were' originally from Oregon... one from Klamath Falls and the other from Portland. I guess the Portland one missed the pot connection since the only credit he got was building the atomic bomb, the magnatometer and the first Cat-Scan machine.
Tec,
Now I understand where you got your brilliance in inventing machines. I can hardly wait to learn about your next addition to the world of beekeeping. I'm sure it'll be something special--maybe like a "queen sniffer" that makes it easy to spot them in a crowded hive? :yahoo:

#18 ·
efmesch,my one hive only did 32#.The others are in a red clover field and starting to make.We are about 3 wks behind so there is still hope.Wild carrot,aka queen anns lace is the problem now.If they start working that it will stink up the honey.The 32# er I tried checker boarding.I didn't read the part about drawn foundation and I didn't have any anyway.If I did it over again I'd not used a queen ex.The checker bord worked to prevent swarming though.Also I robbed 3-4 frames of honey for other splits so they made more than 32#.

#19 ·
Sounds impressive :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It looks like you didn't suffer a jinx. Remember, that the wild carrot should provide a lot of pollen, something you'll need when the hives start building up brood again. How much of a season is left for you before it gets cold and the bees have to close down for winter?

#20 ·
I think we are going to have an Indian summer,so they should be forted up by Halloween or the first two wks in Nov.I was expecting 80# plus on my honey, but after talking to others it's a down year so far.One guy did 500 +# last yr and he's around100 so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.