Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by vermillion, Apr 12, 2012.

1. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Helloooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a beginning beekeeper on the Big Island of Hawaii, near Hilo.

Right now I have one hive of my own and work some more with my mentor at his beeyard, there are about 60 Langstroth hives there and some top bar hives as well.

I have had my own bees two weeks as of today, and just Sunday added a second deep to the hive, they were boiling over and collecting avocado pollen at an astonishing clip. I hope to work up to ten hives this year, that is my current goal at least.

I so much appreciate forums like these where people like me can learn from others and compress the learning curve some. It is so generous of everyone to give their time and expertise so willingly.

I also took a class here in hygenic queen rearing, and my current queen, like myself, is a graduate of that class, so I hope she does well and can help me manage these mites and beetles. :razz:

Aloha!!

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome vermillion:

You have found the right place to learn about your new addiction. Yes, I said Addiction. I started out last year as a hobby, and the next thing I knew, I was hooked. The more you learn about these fascinating little critters-the more you want to learn.

You have an advantage in that you live where you can be an active beekeeper year 'round. Some of us folks like Perrybee and Marbees up in the tundra, and folks like me here in the sub-tundra territory, have to sweat out the winters wondering how our girls are doing. My wife even accused me, this past winter, of looking out the window over the snow covered fields, and mumbling things about chilled brood,small hive beetles, nosema, frames and foundation, and other bee related things. I think she's nuts.

Again, welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

3. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

A big HOWDY from Texas vermillion. :hi:You've come to a great community here.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Vermillion! You will like it here...

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Vermillion, I am a new bekee here myself, in fact get my bees next weekend, can hardly wait, great info here, enjoy your stay.

kebee

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome! :hi: :clapping:

8. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Thanks everyone!!! :hi:

9. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Aloha nui loa from Molokai Vermillion. What plants do your bees take from? Lehua makes GREAT honey. You guys have LOTS over there. Puna area is loaded. I have almost 100% Kiawe. No mites here yet. Kona Queen won't ship queens here because of it. Can't get bee packages either. I just finished my first boxes and got smoker and suit in the mail yesterday. I'm waiting for frames and foundations . As soon as I get them I'll attack the hive iv my garage wall. Also found a hive in a BIG coconut treee yesterday. Trying to get permission to drop it as it's going to fall over anyway.
    Aloha Dakine guy

10. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Aloha!!!!!

Glad to hear you are set with your smoker and suit!
    Right now my girls are running over to the mountain apples next door, three HUGE overgrown trees in full bloom. Just before that it was avocado. They they will have to hit whats growing in the streams, and a little further away is a guava farm.

I want to get more boxes set up at a friends place in Puna. He is on 17 acres of Ohia Lehua bordering 2000 more. One gate, no houses. NOTHING! Ohia as far as the eye can see, with albezia on the edges. I need some $ to get that underway. Thats a long term goal, it will be awesome when I can. I am there once a week anyway....

I may also put a top bar on the ex-husbands place, lots of ohia, guava, mountain apple, mango in the neigborhood, and some ohia too. My daughter lives there, she is starting to get into bees. goes to UH. She sleeps there and eats and does homework here, LOL! the ex is on board. just need time....

That garage plan sounds epic. Good luck with that, I hope you will post pictures!

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

Hello/Aloha Vermillion, welcome to the forum :wave:

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Vermillion and welcome to the forum :hi:

13. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Welcome, Vermillion. Boy am I jealous at all your bees have to choose from to pollinate there! I don't even know what half of those plants, etc. are, but it sure sounds exotic and warm and great for the girls! =)

14. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Aloha and welcome to the forum Vermillion !!!

[​IMG]

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What ever you do, don't forget that most important piece of equipment............................a camera!:thumbsup:

Best of luck, looking forward to your adventure. :grin:

P.S. Cracker, sometimes you just amaze me! :lol:

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

From zero to ten in one year---that's a nice accomplishment. Hope all goes well with your endeaver. I'd like to hear what you think of Avocado honey.
    Welcome to the forum. :hi:

18. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome to the forum!!

19. vermillion

vermillion New Member

Thanks again for the warm welcome, everyone!!

20. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Yo sista!
    I just noticed a couple geikos hanging around the entrance to my wall hive. Have you ever seen geigos "whacking" your bees?