Alternative medicine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mama Beek, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I was wondering who else here is interested in or has studied alternative medicine? I've studied herbal therapies of different types for awhile and have recently started reading on a few other topics along that line and was just curious what the interest level here is.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Now that is something I would be interested in, don't know much about it though. I have a siser that lives over in Hendersonville, NC that is into it or was.

G3

3. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

I've always considered myself somewhat of a skeptic but in the last few years I have really changed my mind about alot of things with alternative medicine being near the top of the list.
    My wife has peripheral neuropathy and part of that disease is an increased likelyhood of of spinal problems and nerve problems. When I first got into bees(which was about two months before we found out about the neuropathy) Iread about apitherapy and blew it off... Less than two months later I watched my wife go literally from bent over a walker crying in pain and unable to walk to upright and walking with a weak smile after five beestings on her back after the on call doctor told her to stay home and wait to see her regular doctor on monday morning...
    We have since learned that beestings work better than cortisone shots and I use them on my shoulder weekly as well as on her back when it flares up.
    Also, after we knew what disease we were dealing with and got the appropriate medical help, a church member approached us with nutritional supplements and asked my wife to please try them free for three months, no strings attatched... My wife has since cut her prescribed medications (and there's a bunch of them) in half and the painkillers are almost gone. When she misses a dose of the herbal mix she has to take double the painkillers to get it back under control.
    Sorry for the long rant but, in short, yes... I am a convert to alternative medicine at least as a suppliment if not an equal to western medicine.

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Like G3, I'm really interested but don't know much about it...I've heard enough stories like CP's above that there's got to be something to it.

I'll be listening in.......

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I can't tell y'all how much of a difference it had made for us to have just basic knowledge of some herbal remedies and nutritional support for different conditions. I don't know nearly as much as I wish I did, but I have learned that there is plenty of good information to be had and it's not hard to find.

One of the best books I've ever read is one that we keep pretty handy. It's called "The Prescription for Herbal Healing" by Balch and Balch and the same people have my other favorite book out called "The Prescription for Nutritional Healing". Those two books are the easiest to use for anyone that I've ever read. Another one on my 'books to get soon' list is "Practical Herbalism", I don't remember the author's name but we borrowed a friends copy a little while back and just hated to part with it.

My kids are used to my using herbs and I doubt that any of them remember a time when we weren't busy in good weather picking some leaf or berry or tree part for our medicines and taking supplements when we need them. Baby Beek has been studying herbs for the last three years as an elective for high school. (I love home school!!) She has really learned a lot too.

Sometimes people get intimidated by the idea of using herbs but we've found it to be easier than sitting around in doctor's offices or sorting through a zillion bottles of expensive over the counter stuff. If y'all are interested I can post a few things and the occasional article. I run across plenty of information and have tons of stuff on hand and I'm always happy to share what little I do know with anyone who's interested.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have an old friend here that is quite the resource for 'home remedies'. She also owns the local health food store where I buy a product (liquid) that I take for rebuilding and repairing ligaments. Nothing like raising the dead of course but it does seem to help. Bee sting therapy on the other hand is something I can attest to personally...

cow pollinator writes:
    I've always considered myself somewhat of a skeptic

tecumseh:
    that a good thing otherwise you would be buying into almost anything. and a question for cow pollinator.

where do you administer the stings for your wife?

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I'm not really sure how "alternative" such items as bee stings, honey and pollen, and many herb remedies really are...afterall, they have been used for thousands of years in one form or another. :thumbsup:

I have a good collection of various books on the subject. Partly due to wanting to further my own information on the subject, and partly because some of the recipes can be carried over for product production. I've played around with various tinctures, infused oils, and even honey with various additives.

With that said, many known medicines just simply are not profittable for mass production from some large company. So it's a grassroots or folk approach that keeps them going. But it is not something to dismiss.

I feel the higher powers in the bee industry (names withheld) have done a very poor job in studying, promoting, and using the benefits of the many products of the hive. They are more interested in increasing honey consumption as a high carb alternative to sugar, or just simply want to make money on each pound sold.

The number one alternative medicine in my book is the power of the mind. It actually is used effectively in getting other medicines passed as they used "sugar pills" and other control studies that does show that if people believe in the treatment, think they will get better,....many times they will. Even though they took nothing to begin with.

With that said, thousands of years of use, and now modern science, has shown many herbs and alternative treatments do work. But I would encourage people not to listen or buy into every "kook" out there. Some uses do have serious ramifications. And it seems many people will sell you on a hope and a dream. It takes much time and effort to learn alternative medicines.

Some of the more easily found herb books that I have that deal with healing powers are:
    Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden (Medieval plants and their uses) ISBN 0-8212-2387-9
    Earl Mindell's Herb Bible ISBN 0-671-7612206
    The Herb Book ISBN 0-553-26770-1
    The healing powers of Herbs ISBN 1-55958-138-7
    Natures Healing Arts (No ISBN) Book from the National Geogrphic Society

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Hey Mama Beek, the topic may be a little off the forum topic, but count me in. I'm interested and take herbs to lower blood pressure and cholesterol.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

My blood pressure had become a little high for me over the last several months and I really don't want to take the meds the doctors like to hand out so often. I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago talking about drinking a nettles for a great many benefits but improving blood pressure was one of them. I've been drinking it for about a week and have more energy than usual and my blood pressure has gone from being 160/108 to 125/70 :yahoo:

My hubby thought I was drinking regular tea and took some to work on accident, he called me on his lunch break and asked me what in the world I was drinking and why I hadn't been giving it to him before now :lol: Now he asks for some nettles tea before he goes to work, he says the increase in energy is amazing and he doesn't feel like quitting his job before lunch time everynight now.... he actually come home smiling and with a little energy left over now :shock: :yahoo:

As soon as I can order I plan to add oatstraw, horsetail, and alfalfa to the nettles decoction I've been using and red clover every so often as well. I also have osteopenia and those herbs together in a decoction will be a great way to build my bone density and strength back up plus a great deal of other benefits too.

I have a couple of articles I can email to anyone who would like to read them.

I've also read that the stings from the stinging nettles plant are very effective for some forms of neuralgia and other issues like arthritis and such. I can't find any nettles close to me but there have been a few days that I've considered trying that.

10. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Sheesh, I had nettles in the rose garden for years and pulled them out by the handful. Maybe I shouldn't have!

I'm a believer in natural remedies, and am trying to learn what I can. I'm just a beginner. Unfortunately, I live with a skeptic, so I just kind of muddle along with only my own input. If I could come up with a headache cure, he'd be converted!

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I sure do wish I had the magic answer for headaches! I've suffered from severely debilitating headaches for over 20 years now. I've tried every herbal remedy I've ever heard of and all of the ridiculously expensive (and useless) medications the doctors have ever given me. With headaches you have to find out what the cause of them is, the problem with mine is that the cause can't be cured it's a neurological defect coupled with some scar tissue that can't be removed without brain surgery and maybe not even then. I have wondered a few times if bee stings would help or make the situation worse.

With migraines and certain other migraine type headaches I've been hearing (and reading) good things about butterbur as a preventative. Of course you have to couple things like that with avoiding the things that trigger them in the first place. You can also try feverfew and cayenne as preventatives and make a salve with ginger, lavender, and peppermint to put on tension points and temples to help a bit with the headaches when they come. My brother swears that his headaches leave as soon as he musters up the courage to eat a cayenne pepper....I ain't that brave I guess.

Some headache sufferers find relief in adding certain mineral supplements to their diet, specifically calcium and magnesium. Magnesium deficiencies will cause headaches, so will a B2 deficiency.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head Hobie. Hopefully y'all can figure out what is causing the headaches....that will make it a lot easier to deal with them.

12. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I have been a lifelong sufferer of migraine headaches.

I'll skip the long story, and just mention that I found out my trigger is MSG. If you read up on MSG, and the side effects it has on many people, it is a wonder that it still can be used. And it seems to be in about everything.

I tried eliminating the sulfites, chocolate, certain cheese and dairy products, as well as coffee and sodas. And finally narrowed it down to MSG.

Sometimes it's not about taking something to cure, but eliminating the items that are causing the illness in the first place.

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Exactly Bjorn! There are a lot of different kinds of headaches and just as many or more causes.

As far as I'm concerned though MSG is just plain old poison. It has been sneaked (snuck?) into so many foods that it is really hard sometimes to find things that don't have any MSG in one or another of it's various forms. Can you believe that KFC at one time had msg in EVERY item on the menu except drink items? Even in the salad!! MSG is one of the many things I have to be very careful of, it has some strange effects on the nervous system which for me means it can mess with my heart and cause severe headaches, fainting, tremors, and a whole host of other weird symptoms.

I was reading a day or two ago an article that says that red clover can protect the neurological system from the effects of MSG, I haven't tried it out yet but it's encouraging to know that there is something that may help.

Migraines are just plain awful no matter what triggers them! Have you found anything that helps you with yours?

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm just wondering, Bjorn, were you saying you have them, or you give them? :box: :twisted:

15. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I will have to investigate MSG. We probably unknowingly consume more of it in the winter when the garden is just not producing for us.

Yow! Maybe it just distracts him from the headache! You could offer to kick him in the shins and see if it has the same effect..

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

17. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I have head aches, just the plain old sinus ones. Doctor wanted to do a router job and I was all for it if I could get some relief. Then he said he would have to break my nose. That was close to 20 years ago, so still suffer form the head aches. funny I have ran across 3 bad to 1good the people whoi had the sinus jobs worked for.

I would also likesome thing for type two diabetese. I do a great job of keeping the blood sugar below 100 during the day. But during the night it goes to He77 in a hand cart so morning readings are over 150. Fact is I had a blood test this morning and an appointment with the doctor Monday to see what can be done.

:mrgreen: Al

18. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

You can buy cayenne in capsules too and I do get some relief for some of my headaches with it....you'll probably never catch me eating a cayenne the way my brother does though! I will still gladly offer to kick him in the shins though....it'll be just like the old days :twisted:

The other thing that seems to help me is to avoid florescent lights....I have no idea why but it really does help. A friend of ours suffers from very high blood pressure and has also noticed that the florescent lights cause his pressure to spike. I may have to look into that a bit more.

19. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

That was a good article, I just wish it had given a little bit more information on the lemon balm. My grandma used to use onions for everything, if we got a cut she'd hold a onion on it, same for black eyes....now that will REALLY make you cry! Grandma would put onion on splinters that we let get infected (ya know 'cuz we were dumb little kids) and out would come the infection and the splinter. I hadn't read all of that about parsley either, hmmmm.

20. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I use eucalyptus oil on a cotton ball to help open a stuffy nose sometimes but if you need sinus surgery I don't know how helpful something like that would be. We tend to give our sinuses steam baths with peppermint and eucalyptus, rosemary and thyme oils around here. It's very soothing and the heat feels good when you have swollen sinuses. XLB broke my nose when he was 10 months old and I've had sinus trouble ever since.

For diabetes my father in law has gotten a great deal of help stabilizing his blood sugar by taking spirulina and garlic pills at bedtime. He also takes ginseng, zinc, and B12. If you drink tea or coffee you may want to switch to decaf since the caffeine can cause your blood sugar to go up. Brewer's Yeast is also a good supplement to stabilize blood sugar. He also says that drinking milk warmed with a cinnamon stick in it before bed has helped keep his from being too high in the mornings.

I'll keep looking for some other things for you too as I read Al.... take care!