always amazed when bees decide they need drones over workers

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by barry42001, Mar 15, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

please note how in the one frame the bees reworked several cells to make drone cells at the expence of several worker cells, was tought bees will draw cells based on the impression of the foundation given if worker foundation--worker sized cells if drone foundation, (some use for honey supers, and now for varroa detection.) then drone cells, but bees constantly are reworking comb to make what they see fit--not what you want them to lol :razz: IMAG0165.jpg IMAG0166.jpg

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have some like that, wax foundation that they completely ignored the pattern and made drone comb and then I found some in a dead out that was even bigger than around than drone cells, crazy looking cells.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

what I like is when the bees first start to draw out the foundation, just barely with walls, and the queen lays eggs in them that sorta decides that issue--workers
    Barry

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like to see that too, kinda looks funny. I guess the queen is saying "HURRY UP LADIES"

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

G3, Are you workin' bee's upside down now? (Your avatar) What are you trying to trump Iddee? :lol:

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Drones are important... In fact, I LOVE drones. I just wish I could get my bees to draw out the frames of drone comb that I have... they constantly ignore it and it drives me nuts because I'd like to use that to selectively breed more drones in my best colonies to increase the odds that future open mated queens (the only kind I have) will produce better bees in the future.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    was tought bees will draw cells based on the impression of the foundation given if worker foundation

tecumseh:
    another infraction of the rules?

15 yards and loss of down!

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol back field in motion