Always thinking

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bwwertz, Mar 13, 2013.

1. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Well....a pretty cool thing happening in my back yard. I lost 6 of my 7 hives (that's definitely not the cool part!). I have one of those empty hives parked about 5 feet away from my back steps (to remind me to CLEAN UP!) and in the last two weeks I have noticed quite a bit of activity around it. The coolest day so far I noticed a total of three bees checking it out. Today it's about 65 degrees and I have at least 10! I can follow the girls as far as over the top of my house and out towards the front yard. I'm guessing they're coming in to clean out all the pollen and honey still left in it? They're doing it to the two hives in my way back backyard too. I haven't had time to clean up these hives yet and am still very leary about thawing out what's in my deep freezer and bringing into the house. I did this last year and sealed everything up airtight and still wax moths got in. I have 3 packages of bees ordered and they'll be here on the 28th. I haven't gotten a hold of BT yet. Still a little nervous about using it.
    I'm thinking maybe I can use one of my empty nucs and try to catch a swarm? Iddee, how do you know when it's swarm season here in NC because of the crazy weather this winter? Is it possible these are bees from my hive (or hives) that left their hive due to wax moth infestation/shb in the fall/early winter? I know it's unheard of, but could it be possible?
    This is pretty exciting. If it weren't for my husband and kids, I'd keep a hive right where this one is so I can watch it up close all the time!
    I'm loving DST and all these bees are getting me excited! I just planted shasta daisies, red clover, white clover, and a wildflower so I sure hope they bloom!!!!!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There was a swarm in Greensboro a week or so ago, and one in High Point yesterday, so down your way, it is time. Most likely, there has been a few already.

Get some BT and use it. It is safe.

3. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Do any local stores sell BT or is it best to order it?
    Do swarm boxes have to be up high?

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Thanks for posting that Iddee! I didn't know it was posted here. I was using that "other forum" to order it. :oops:

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

BT works. I'll be using mine after dark tonight. (after the bees go to bed)

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Shame on you, slowmodem. You get 17 lashes with a wet noodle for that.

7. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

No reply yet from the gentleman that sells BT. I hope everything's ok. =(

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's only 6 or 7 where he is. He may still be on the job. He does service work and may work until dark or afterward.

9. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Ok. It was two days ago. I'm still being patient, though I'll admit it's not one of my virtues. I saw you in a video of a "trap out (?)." Pretty neat to actually hear and see the man behind all the words of wisdom. =)
    On another note.... I moved my one hive that didn't die this evening - about 5 miles away - into my backyard. They were VERY quiet despite the moving and shaking. Sure hope they're ok!

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I was going by your post to him this morning. I thought you had just sent the email.Sorry.

11. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

National Pesticide Information Center, "B.t. subsp. aizawai is highly toxic to honey bees while subsp. kurstaki,israelensis, and tenebrionis have minimal toxicity to bees (2)." BTtech.pdf, http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/BTtech.pdf

Since I use BT to kill hornworms on tomatoes and knew it worked on larva, I suspected that BT would kill my bee larva, so it never occurred to me to use it on the hives to kill wax moth. Seeing BT aizawai promoted so heavily on the bee forums, I had to research it more thoroughly before adding my 2cents. Some sites say it's ok, but none where I trusted the source. Found this one.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The way I read it, only minimal when used properly. On the other hand, I wouldn't call a wax moth invasion minimal.

"B.t. subsp. aizawai is highly toxic to honey bees while subsp. kurstaki, israelensis, and tenebrionis have minimal toxicity to bees.
    When B.t. pesticides are used according to product labels the risk to bees and other nontarget beneficial insects is minimal."