Am I a beekeeper now?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Mosti, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Got my first sting today, below my right eye...(it hurts!!) after tranferring a crowded nuc into a hive. Was done and jacket removed...this bee must have been bred off japanese pearl harbour stock! Diving continously, following me to the van until it got a strike..for queen and colony :lol:

Nuc contained 5 frames of drawn comb, I added another 5 of foundation in between drawn ones. I will check it out within a week.

I did not manage to locate the queen and did noy want to disturb the bees much...they where already quite grumpy.

I also witnessed a bee emerging from a capped cell:razz:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Congrats. Always good to hear a success story.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You are officially in the club Mosti :thumbsup:
    You would have scored extra points if you had posted a picture of the sting site! :lol:
    Quick question, you didn't put that foundation between every frame did you? I don't know that you would be wanting to break up your brood frames to that degree.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Just like a boxer isn't a boxer till he gets a shiner---you've passed the test. But you're just at the beginning--follow the sting as your eye/face swells.
    You get points for everyone who asks you what happened. :lol:
    You get double points if they ask if it was your wife who hit you. :rolling:
    You get triple points when you convince them that it wasn't your wife but a bee. :rotfl:

5. pturley

pturley New Member

I'll second Perrybees comments.

When transferring a nuc into a ten frame box, it's best to leave the brood nest more or less intact. IMO: If you want to intersperse undrawn foundation, the ideal would be three frames of brood in the middle, flanked by one bare foundation on each side, then the honey frames from the nuc to the outside of these on either side. Then finished out with foundation frames to the sides of the box.

Either this, or all five from the nuc in the middle. This is likely a more common set-up, they will expand fast enough...

One, by spreading them out you are forcing them to defend a very large area.
    Two, when the brood frames are side-by-side, it takes fewer bees to keep the inside faces warm. When they have to cover both sides of all the brood frames, you are risking chilled brood. One cool night could potentially wipe you out!
    Three, the queen likely will not cross an undrawn frame to find the next brood frame. Technically, she is now isolated on a single frame. She will work a brood ball from side to side, end to end laying in newly drawn/ partially drawn frames on the edges, but just as queens do not tend to cross a honey band, the frames of open foundation are very much the same type of barrier.

You may want to crack it back open and shift some frames around a bit. Hopefully the nights are warm at your location... ...if warm enough then no damage done.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome to the world of beekeeping. what you have read is important but now the real lessons of beekeeping begins. I hope you enjoy this new adventure.

7. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I will do this...I have thought about the queen crossing undrawn foundation after I have done it, Nights are warm at the moment and will be for the whole summer.

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Brood Spreading

Perry and Paul's comments about splitting the brood with frames of foundation are spot on.

There is a technique called "brood spreading" which you might like to try at sometime to speed the growth of the brood nest. The technique is described, with diagrams, in my old edition of Hooper "Guide to Bees and Honey".

If you imagine a theoretical brood nest spread over 5 frames, it will be shaped like an American football. Frames 1 and 5 will have the smallest patch of brood. If you place frame 1 between frames 2 and 3, the bees are encouraged to place more brood on frame 1 to maintain the brood nest shape. If the conditions and number of bees are such, you can do a similar movement and place frame 5 between frames 3 and 4. I think I would be tempted to do just one of these spreading frame shifts at first examination and further shifts at further examinations.

Something to think about. .:roll:

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Mosti, How's your eye doing? Is the swelling spreading? Has it started to go down yet?
    Feel well. :wink:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Barbarian snip..
    There is a technique called "brood spreading" which you might like to try at sometime to speed the growth of the brood nest.

tecumseh:
    here in the US we call this 'opening up the brood nest' but essentially you are doing the same thing. in most places you want to do this in a very conservative way since there still can be some downside from employing this manipulation.

11. Mosti

Mosti New Member

No its ok, I didnt have any swelling, the sting was not in the eye itself but about 10mm below. Thanks for the thought anyway.

12. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I think I will open up the hive tomorrow morning and put the frames in the order they were in the nuc and let the bees do the job. I have left them fend for themselves in the first hive and now they have allmost drawn all 10 frames. Will I be disturbing them excessively since I have manipulated them yesterday afternoon?