Am I beeing robbed?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by clifftopbees, Jun 23, 2011.

1. clifftopbees

clifftopbees New Member

My neighbor and I bought a nuc each in May. Both are doing well. About three weeks ago the neighbor acquired another hive. My last couple of visits to the apiary revealed many bees on the outside of my hive, but both of hers are normal in activity. The bees on my hive are all over the entrance reducer.

Am I beeing robbed?

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Re: An I beeing robbed?

Ok I am guessing entrance reducer in june in Tenn. Could quite possibly be the issue. I am guessing your bees are bearding right now because they are hot. It is a sign of a well populates hive.

Now if they are fighting in front of the hive and you see dead bees in front in large numbers they may be being robbed.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Are they still in the nuc??? If so how many frames have they drawn out, all five?? if so to they need to be in a bigger box, remove the entrance reducer so they can have more air. What you are seeing is bearding, too hot in the house so lets go sit out on the porch. Do her hives have the entrance reducers removed or screened bottom boards, if so that would let more air circulate in the hive.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

like said earlier you got bearding. I believe I would remove the entrance reducer. It shouldnt be needed this time of year if the hive is strong. You will know robbing when you see it. Bees will bee bumping along side the hive looking for any hole or crevice to get into. There will be bees fighting on the front porch or at the entrances. Be a lot of disoriented frenzy flying around the hive going on.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I really think robbing as an act of the bees really should be tagged looting since pretty soon everyone gets in the act and begins dragging off all the goods. Robbing is one of those things where 1) you will see swarms of bee hovering around every crack and entrance to a hive 2) lot of bees wrestling on the ground and 3) one of the few times when just nosing around the hive (by the bee keeper) is quite likely to get you stung.

6. clifftopbees

clifftopbees New Member

Thanks for all the info! I put the bees in a deep super the day we got them. Then added a medium about two weeks later. Bearding makes sense now that you mention it. I pulled the top cover when I visited last and the bees were on all the frames in the medium.They came welling up as soon as the cover was off. I'll remove the reducer tomorrow. Would it be a good idea to add another medium also. They had not drawn out the comb on the outside frames of the medium, but are working on well over half of the frames. The hive is doing very well.
    Thanks G3Farms!

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to hear they are doing well for you, I do not know how you are going to keep your bees but those have never had any chemicals from me.

As for adding another super to them I would wait just a little bit. There is not much of a flow on and they will chew up unused foundation to make comb out of.

How is Ann's hive doing?

8. clifftopbees

clifftopbees New Member

Ann's hive is not quite as active. She was awhile later putting on her medium. She now has another acquired from Ben. Right about the arrival of her second is when I noticed the bees bearding. Made me wonder about robbing [New bee!] Had just read and seen a picture of robbing in a bee book [jumped to wrong conclusion].