Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who saw the Beekeeping on Amazing Race last night

Contestants had to get 500 grams of honey comb ( about a lb)

The advisor says : fix your suit, these are African bees and they WILL sting you

Lol

All hives were logs or horizontal non frame boxes hanging from trees.
I saw a lot of brood comb being tossed into buckets , but they all got 500 gms easily.
pretty cool to see, and if it wasn't for my son would not have watched, he saw the adverts for it Saturday.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I saw, but I did see well over a 100 bees on one guys suit and all over the veil

·
Registered
36 Posts
I saw this too and thought that line about "African bees and they WILL sting you" was pretty funny.

In all the comb they were ripping out of those hives, I didn't see any capped honey though. Did you?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just watched it last night. I know they said "these are African bees, and will sting you", but I was very happy that it was not presented like a "Fear Factor" challenge. They didn't try to play the bees up as menacing, and everybody was calm and seemed to enjoy working the bees, not dread it. All in all, good press for us I think.

So, am I right in seeing that the bee logs they were using had no kind of comb guide at all? Is that how they do it- just all free-form comb in a log with some kind of lid?

-Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts