amendment to farm bill - pollinators

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Gypsi, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I signed it also, but doubt this congress will ever read it. Jack

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Maybe good things will be happening.
    However, one of the initiatives is "creating a task force on bee health and commercial beekeeping." This is worded in such a way that has me wondering what it means. Heavily armed black helicopters swooping in to confiscate all my bees and equipment? Yeah, I know I'm exaggerating, but Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-California) has been on my radar screen for years, She, along with many of her contemporaries, have been at the forefront of the gun grabbing movement, trying to whittle away at our second amendment rights.
    OK, I'll climb down off my soapbox, but I really wonder if anything good will come of this or whether it is a "feel good" proposal to shut us all up.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Heavily armed black helicopters swooping in to confiscate all my bees and equipment? Yeah, I know I'm exaggerating,"
    .......:grin: that's funny gunsmith! maybe disguised as a big flying honey bee?......:lol:

thanks for the link gypsi.:grin:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Anything Boxer is for, I would have to be against unless I could study every detail of the amendment.

I imagine she has it out for someone and wants to deny them some right, so is using this as a back door approach to do so. That is her normal mode of operation.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That sounds more like Monsanto and Pinkerton to me. But because I really despise politics, I won't say much about this. Legislation rarely benefits the average citizen (although we end up paying for it). It's usually some entity that can afford lobbyists that benefits. That applies to both sides of the isle.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

It is probably a feel good proposal but it was bee news so I posted it.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

and thanks gypsi for posting it, irregardless of the politics.......

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sorry I didn't say so before Gypsy, thanks for posting it.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Yes, it is nice to know if something is coming down the road that might affect us in some way. :)

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It's two clicks away. I read it and was not impressed at all. It doesn't actually do anything, except open the door to the government telling you how you should care for your bees under threat of monetary penalty if you don't douse them with Bayer chemicals on at least a bi-annual basis to treat for mites whether they need it or not.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now that sounds more like the Boxer I am familiar with.

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Beware of anything that comes from the same senate that passed the monsanto protection act.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

and thanks again gypsi for posting the link for the proposal, positive or negative.. again, irregardless of the politics.......
    whether it be boxer, mccain, or another senator etc, and our sad, but sometimes true opinions of our own senate/congress.....with that said, i sometimes wonder what our international members think?
    opinions on the amendment is good discussion. what matters to me and/or annoys me is reading political bashing, i don't care for it.
    would a newer beek in our forum reading this thread be comfortable posting a thread similar to this or even posting a comment? i doubt it. i sure as he$$ wouldn't.
    just my two cents.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    Anything Boxer is for, I would have to be against unless I could study every detail of the amendment.

tecumseh...
    hummm.... sounds a bit knee jerk to me Iddee although I would say not unexpected. unlike my paranoid/delusional right leaning brothers and sister I will accept a good idea no matter what is the origin <I have long thought that a great idea from an idiot is still a great idea. I would suspect with little reservation that mizz Boxer interest is at least partially generated by the almond growers in California.

the basic idea sound fairly low key and inexpensive and non intrusive... could be a good beginning to remedy SOME of the problem.

this thread does suggest why we as a country are likely setting ourselves up to fail since information and ideas is now filtered thru a 'politically correct' lens before it is deemed acceptable or not acceptable.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""I have long thought that a great idea from an idiot is still a great idea.""

I agree. I just want to scrutinize the ideas of known idiots a bit closer than a proven genius, if there is such a thing.
    Lately, I think only idiots are running for office.

Now that is the end of the political posts for me I won't reply here again unless and until I see reason to close it.

PS. I see nothig against discussing government and laws, as long as it don't get into different political parties.

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

At least someone up there is trying to do something beside looking forward to recess.JMHO Jack

18. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Very well put. :)

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm too far away to get involved in the political aspects of who says what, but the whole issue made me think that there should be a specific movement to encourage small scale beekeepers. The general population should be educated to be less fearful of bees and beekeeping in urban areas should be advanced because of its beneficial influence on plant and fruit production.

20. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Educate, don't legislate.