American imports.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alleyyooper, Feb 1, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Thank you Tec.
    Have a good Easter weekend.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Although I suspect we often don't agree on a lot of 'stuff' I would say directly much of your prior post reflects my own feeling and thinking.

I would have likely changed the word (your term) large commercial concerns to honey packers.

somewhat related to topic.... maybe????
    I recently noted when some tainted honey (Chinese origin of course) was discovered here and that a portion of the shipment was sold to a Texas packer who's name was never divulged. it almost seemed like somebody (in the enforcement arm of our government) was covering for the packer.

Bjorn writes:
    Are we bashing walmart or the people who buy there?

tecumseh:
    may I assume this is the 'first question' you were referencing in your prior post?

if yes, I would suggest that the idea that drowning in cheap consumer goods produced in China only produces some increase in business at Walmart and the local dump. the idea that somehow we are all better when consumer good are cheap seems a bit weak minded to me. in my OPINION a lot of the justification and rationalization of globalization is based on this same weak minded analysis.

just my two cents...

as always, the best to you Bjorn.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

And now another bad product from China (sheetrock) that has to be removed from homes that have it. When will we ever learn that cheap is not always good. Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

cheap is well cheap and the end dollar price is not necessarily always reflected in the sticker price.

necessarily someone has had to cut some kind of corner, used some form of inferior or dangerous input or process (see Jack's comments above), or rely heavily on some kind of government subsidy to be able to obtain some significant dollar advantage in the market place.

a friend of mine is in the oil drilling business (it was his office that was used for the movie The Last Picture Show) and he made some comment to me not that long ago about all the oil tools are now being made in China. matter of fact the various oil tools made in China are so inexpensive that the supply stores he uses no longer stocks anything made in America. He also made the comment to me that one common item used in drilling for oil use to last him about six months, now last about six days. he also knows that in a very short while the Chines alternative will be the only alternative and I would suggest that when that happens the prices will no longer be so cheap.

some of the strategies used commonly by China in the recent and not so recent past use to be considered monopolist in nature (essentially a means of driving all other suppliers from a market) and you could rely on the anti trust laws to discourage such behavior. now we seem to be more interested in protecting international capitalist (read oil sheiks) than our own citizens.