an early spring

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

got a call from a blueberry farm today about 2 hours north of me in wesley chapel, 10% of the farm is in bloom already and needing hives, blueberrys here usually bloom end of the 2nd week in February, I went out to the far bee yard at the organic nursery and the owner was telling me she has several kinds of bushes flowering 1 to 1 1/2 months early, looked into 5 hives there and then went to another yard and opened up 6 there and found alot of them in full brood mode and more then a few had drone brood just about ready to cap, I have 3 nucs left that I am raising and 1 was at the 2nd yard so I opened that up and its growing now and just about ready for a full size hive, looks like spring jumped on us real early here.

Attached Files:

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Just returned from my dog walk, the Red Maples are in bloom...... Bees aren't even flying.

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

That's just bizarre. Scary, isn't it? :(

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hope it isn't one of those years everything flowers early and then the cold weather and frost hits destroying crops and causing food prices to rise. Nice looking nuc ready for sale or bigger box

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I ordered another 10 boxes frames and foundation today, think Im going to run out of time before I can get all the gear I need, I might get hit with the spring flow a little too fast now

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

According to the metrology we are going to have a hard cold spell and it will get down onto Florida in about 2 weeks from now. And they forcast 74 degrees for this coming Saturady here. The weather is crazy and only GOD can control it, some body is doing something very wrong here in this country.

kebee

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Here is a pic of Red Maple blooms

image.jpg

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You get a better price when you buy more just get it over with and start ordering them by the 100's You know your going to need them. Seriously there is nothing worse than knowing your not going to have enough equipment ready for the bees in time. If I was a hole lot closer I would come over and help you assemble.

9. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I heard the same thing for our weather, here, in NC. Mid 60's by the end of this week and then possible lows in the single digits by the end of next week. :shock:

Like Zulu, I was noticing a lot of things today that looked like they were trying to bud out. Could be bad . . .

Oh, and the "somebody's" are the clowns up in DC! :rolling:

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like ApisBees said about early warm up and then a hard frost hits, it's happened here more times than i like to remember. Were about (in normal times) 5 weeks from the Maple and Willow bloom and the temp. is mid 50's all this week? In normal or should i say years past, by this time of Jan. we have temps. in the teens or sub zero and snow? The queens will start laying a brood pattern the size of a coffee cup in mid Jan. and expand it as the weather warms. I've lived and went through 74 winters here (except when i was in the sevice) and the last 3 winters if you want to call them that have just had about 3 weeks of cold weather (mostly in the teens and twenties). If it's not global warming, then someone is blowing alot of cold air.:grin: Jack

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well if I can get 1 or 2 boxes on each hive Ill just have to spin more often and order more gear, long range forcast for us for the next 2 weeks is high 70's to almost 80' 1 hive I looked at today had 5 frames of brood the size of a football on each side, last year at this time I just started 1 to 1 to start the increase in brood for the spring, the girls are already flying like theres a flow on.

12. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Here, i have noticed alot of our fruit trees are budding. one day last week i noticed the bees had red pollen going into the hives!we have had normal temps, then colder than normal, up and down all winter!

13. Omie

Omie Active Member

Well we are teens and 20's at night, 30's or 40's during days....a bit warm for January but not too far off normal.

14. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Zookeep: Thank you! I was beginning to think I was going nuts down here!! :???: My bees are busting at the seams. I did a trap out today, and two calls already for swarms....huh? Drones are even flying. The mangoes are going absolutely bonkers, and citrus is starting to bloom. I built a buncha boxes and frames last week...hoping I am ready! I am adding supers because I have to...not because I think it's the right time! I've been questioning my decisions about timing, but the bees are telling me something else. Glad to hear it is now happening in other parts of the State, too. I think we're going to have a buzzy season! :thumbsup: As ApisBees said...I hope it's not one of those years that everything blooms early, only to get frozen back! All I know is I am enjoying these low-mid 80's, as are the girls! :grin: Good luck with your harvests!

15. Zulu

Zulu Member

Our temps are right on normal last three weeks, beginning dec was a bit warm, and wetter than normal.

16. Omie

Omie Active Member

Yeah I wouldn't think anyone would want trees to bloom a month or 6 wks early, only to have it likely go back to normal temps for a bit, and all the pollinated flowers freeze and drop...could lose entire crops for the year! :sad:

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Bees In Miami said:"I did a trap out today, and two calls already for swarms".

Uh, we need pictures as proof! The more, the better! :rules: :wink: :mrgreen:

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey Perry, while your looking out the window watching it snow, i'm getting ready for an early spring.:lol: Just got through ordering my onion plants from Texas and now getting ready to plow three 1 acre garden spots so they'll dry out quicker if we ever get any rain??? It's 50F here today and forecast close to sixty by the week end, of course i won't plant anything till April but i'll be ready.:thumbsup: Don't think i don't appreciate you keeping the "S" word up there while i'm making garden plans here, "What a pal" Happy skiing.:grin: Jack

19. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

I used to think spring was the shortest season in Oklahoma but winter may replace it- I pruned my fruit trees last week when it got down in the 20's because I'm afraid to wait for colder temps-might not happen!

20. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

We've been having average temps but no snow here, getting me worried about soil moisture come spring. We're still "abnormally dry" on the Drought Monitor and not significan weather systems threatening even way out there.