An easy cutout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, May 22, 2011.

  1. Bens-Bees

    Bens-Bees New Member

    Messages:
    978
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Here's the only decent pic I got of the easy cutout I did yesterday, the bees hadn't been there long and they were right behind the vent cover so I only had to remove that and none of the siding.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. G3farms

    G3farms New Member

    Messages:
    5,162
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0

  3. Bens-Bees

    Bens-Bees New Member

    Messages:
    978
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Well they hadn't been there long, only a few days, not enough time to build much comb and they had no eggs to stick arround for so all it took to get them out was a few spritz's of fisher's bee quick and they vacated the wall, even the queen voluntarily left, I found her wandering in the grass by the base of the ladder. I never would have found her though, if it weren't for the other bees pointing out to me where she was. Anyway they were right behind the vent cover so once I pulled off the vent cover I was able to access all that they had built right through the vent hole which made it easyier than I thought it would ever be. I first used the stethescope on the inside wall which indicated that they were going down inside the wall behind the shower/bathtub but they hadn't been there long enough to build comb down there, they were just doing the cleanup of the area they were going to build comb in. I was originally planning to do the cutout Sunday, but when I saw they hadn't been there long enough to build much I decided that it could be done yesterday. When I sprayed the Fisher's bee quick in there, they all piled out and swarmed over to the vent cover which I had laid on the rail of the deck so at that point I just set up a hive that had some drawn comb in it and put about half a swarm lure in it and they started to go in, but very slowly. After I got the queen they started moving in a little faster but they still weren't going very fast and since I had 'til 6 before I needed to leave for work and it was just 2 at that point I left and checked on a nearby trapout I had in progress and grabbed some lunch... I wish that trapout was going as well as this is, but those bees are getting mean and they keep making holes through the caulk because they have lots of brood they are desperate to get back to. They also rejected my second bait hive, so I swapped that out today with the third one... they started fighting with the few bees that were in the bait hive attending to the frame of eggs, hopefully it won't last long and they'll start moving in soon because I really can't have that many mean bees there, it's too close to the entrance of a business. I was getting pinged and bees trying to sting through my veil just standing still in front of them before I even messed with them today. Not a good situation there at all. Although they are in the opposite direction that I am heading today, I am thinking of checking on them again today anyway, just to see if the new bait hive has improved anything with that situation. If not then I may have to take desperate measures.