An inside look at the Chinese Honey Industry

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Iddee, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

BEIJING (AP) — Businessman Yan Yongxiang was trying to get around stiff U.S. levies on imports of cheap Chinese honey. So he sent 15 shipping containers of cut-rate honey to the Philippines, where it was relabeled and sent on to the United States.

It's called honey-laundering, and the subterfuge let Yan skirt $656,515 in taxes before he was caught in a bust and pleaded guilty. Yan's factory in central China's Henan province even filtered the metals and pollen from the honey so that U.S. tests would not show it came from China, according to the 60-year-old's plea agreement. Now he awaits sentencing in a U.S. jail.

http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010. ... chive.html

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

where is the link supposed to go to?

Just how big were the containers? that is $43,767 per container, I take it they were conex boxes.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry about that. Try it now.

4. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

Seventh para from the bottum says that tha US Govt subsidises honey producers. Who out there is getting money form the govt?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there is no subsidy and beyond a government operated loan program there is NO commodity program in the USDA for honey.

if those US honey producers would work as hard and as cheap as there chinese counterparts our government wouldn't need to impose a business killing tax on those poor and hard working Chinese. another dang government program that just ain't workin'.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Metals? There are metals in honey? Or just Chinese honey? What kind of metals?

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Digging a little deeper you find out that this has been going on since 2005, maybe longer. The Chinese exporter, Yan Yongxiang, was slipping this tainted honey into the country to a German business. The business, Alfred L. Wolff Inc., has been scrutinized by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement office. In May 2008, they arrested two executives with Alfred L. Wolff Inc. for knowing importing tainted Chinese honey, labeling it Polish Light Amber Honey from the Ukraine. After being rejected by a Wisconsin manufacturer, the tainted honey was then sold to two businesses that knowingly bought the honey at a reduced cost. The buyers were in Texas and Michigan. The companies names were not listed.
    As of this writing, Alfred L. Wolff Inc's web site is off line.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

srv fan writes:
    After being rejected by a Wisconsin manufacturer, the tainted honey was then sold to two businesses that knowingly bought the honey at a reduced cost. The buyers were in Texas and Michigan. The companies names were not listed.

tecumseh:
    now why do you think the buyer's names were not a part of the report? Curious to me that a shipment would be rejected by one company and then sent on down the road to another.

we have a potentially tainted product here and we don't want to inform folks that the honey you purchased from B....... Honey Company not only was possible contaminated but definitely wasn't produced anywhere near Texas.

ps...and sorry to break the news to ya'.... honey can become contaminated due to any number of causes including nectar being collected from tainted sites. if the air, water and land your bees reside on is tainted then quite likely your honey is also.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

The honey was contaminated with chloramphenicol. This is an antibiotic that vets give to some animals and in China, to bees. It has not been approved by the USDA and can cause cancer in humans.

Here is a link to the story that I obtained most of my info from.
    http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases ... hicago.htm

If you search the Alfred L. Wolff Inc name you find that there is a history of this type of thing. I was hoping to find out which manufacturers bought from Alfred L. Wolff Inc. I haven't found that out yet.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have seen where the chinese have done end runs around tariffs on honey by trying to pass it thru canada. The sad thing is honey isnt the only thing that they do this with and china is not the only country. I have heard US tobbacco companies do the same thing in other countries to export there product where they are forbidden to do business.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

The heavy kind... lead, arsenic, mercury... that sort of thing.

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

drums

No the $ figure is how much taxes he evaded over the span of 20 some-odd years... whereas the shipment spoken about above is just one shipment of many. It's a 500% tax on Chinese honey I think...