An unexpected call ......

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

and I suddenly have a complete hive, two or three weeks in advance of my expected Nucs

One of our local keepers , just had too many hives to take care of and offered one to me , but I had to come and get it the same day....... took me all of 30 minutes to be there with my wooden ware. Rushed out so quickly I didn't even think of appropriate clothing ...... so worked them in short sleeves and later paid the price with my first sting on my wrist.

I got a full deep, and two supers with plenty brood and stores. Found the queen while transferring frames, so we know she is in there. (Not yet marked)
    Iddee had already "approved" my hive locations, so the first one went exactly where we planned, despite no paint on wooden ware, nor cleaned up leaves etc around the base. I thought I still had at least two weeks !!!

We moved the hive just before sunset and they were happily settled in new location as the sun went down. I found a big lid from a drum, filled it with pebbles and water, and placed it about 10 ft away.
    [attachment=0:r1gsxjxb]IMG00042.jpg[/attachment:r1gsxjxb]

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

looks nice. get some paint on those nice boxes.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Can't beat that!! Sounds like you have a good friend there.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Come on down, the Price is Right!" :mrgreen:
    I said it once, I'll say it again, some of you folks below the 49th sure are nice! :drinks:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Congrats. Now get you an easy chair and the wife will know where to find you at any time. ""Sitting and watching the bees"" :thumbsup: :D

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

No question that I need to paint/varnish, thought I had another two weeks to do it. Bought all the rest of my wooden ware yesterday , so this weekend I will paint and do a change over ..... wasn't sure I could paint them with bees in them ??? Can I ??

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Congratulations Zulu... you're going to have to keep us posted about how this hive does for you.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

You are better off painting your empty boxes, letting them dry a day or two, then switching the frames to them. No sense getting the bees mad or exposing them to paint fumes either. I'm about to repaint all my hive boxes this Spring and I'll just be painting all the non-occupied boxes first, and switching them out with the occupied woodenware when they're dry.

Hey you are very lucky to be given that hive- congratulations on being a 'new parent'! :D

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Zulu writes:
    wasn't sure I could paint them with bees in them ??? Can I ??

tecumseh:
    old bee keepers had no problem doing it that way. certainly Omie's instruction allows for a better and less hazardous situation (for you and the bees).