And now another mystery??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Feb 20, 2013.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

IMG_1254.jpg

Okay, so I posted about my almost dead out. I took one of the supers(which sat on top of the super with the cluster and brought it in the house along with one frame of honey from the very bottom deep...I left the 2nd deep full of honey/stores/..and the super on top of it outside with the small cluster of bees). I checked or so I thought each of the frames and the box for bees . Surprise, surprise I wake up to find these two inhabitants...there was one other worker but she died during the night. Can this be the queen? My thought is that she was in the bottom of the top super(which I brought in to our house) right on top of where the cluster was. The worker in the picture was attending to her like she knew her. Any thoughts for this very perplexed beekeeper? If she is who I think she is should I just stick her back in with the cluster...will they remember her? This is turning into the weirdest experience. Thanks, Halley

2. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

certainly looks like a queen to me.

3. jb63

jb63 New Member

That's your queen. If it was me I'd mark her while she's out.It just makes it so much easier to spot her later on.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

ASAP too! :thumbsup:

5. Lburou

Lburou Member

Glad you saw her before it was too late. :)

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Let her walk up and into the cluster smoke the small cluster before hand to mask pheromones cause she has been out long enough to have been missed. spray the bees with a misting of syrup. if the bees don,t accept her they will ball her and you will have to rescue her and put her in a cage so they will accept her. I would not mark her at this time as you will be introducing an other scent in the hive that could cause the bees to be less accepting of her.

7. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I put her in but the little cluster appears to have gone belly up...I shouldn't have opened the hive...too cold Live and learn...so I am going to plan on buying perhaps two packages this year. I feel so badly because we were so close to making it. Waah!

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

9. Lburou

Lburou Member

If they are dead or dying, close the hive so it cannot be robbed (it saves the stores and prevents spreading disease and pests). Sorry for your lost hive. :)

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would guess that yes that looks like your queen. I would also guess not very good queen... looks kind of like she issued late in the season and if so may have been poorly mated. was there any brood at all in the hive?

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

halley,
    i have been following your two threads....
    "I put her in but the little cluster appears to have gone belly up...I shouldn't have opened the hive...too cold Live and learn..."

i think you said it best from your own experience, you opened that hive when you shouldn't have, however the cluster size may have been too small to make it, maybe not. delving into the hive and disturbing the cluster that was there did not help it, and what you did thereafter, and also as tec pointed out,(my thoughts also from the size of the queen) " I would also guess not very good queen... looks kind of like she issued late in the season and if so may have been poorly mated."

"I feel so badly because we were so close to making it. Waah! "

halley, i think there is not one of us, irregardless of our years of keeping bees have not felt or experienced this sadness you have expressed. i wish you well on your two packages and a new season for you in the bees! don't get discouraged!

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

definitely the last sentence of what riverbee said....

having a good stack of bees may make the death a hive less of a relative loss but the same sinking feeling in your stomach never really goes away.

I perhaps should NOT tell this (gotten flack at other times for revealing this experience).... long long ago I use to murder literally thousands of hives in the Dakotas as part of my job description in working for a commercial operation. when I would go to dump the dead bees out of their boxes and then take the empty stuff back to storage I would get the same sinking feeling in my stomach. as I said that feeling (at least for me) never really went away.

13. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Thanks for all your responses and support. Right now I have the shoulda, coulda, woulda syndrome but I am looking at purchasing a second hive and into packages. I learned alot this year and of course know that the learning is never done.

14. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I think it is important to have some feeling(sinking or otherwise) toward these little creatures. Thanks for sharing.

15. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Halley, i think there is not one of us, irregardless of our years of keeping bees have not felt or experienced this sadness you have expressed. i wish you well on your two packages and a new season for you in the bees! don't get discouraged![/QUOTE]

Thank you, Riverbees..I don't plan on giving up yet:)

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Thank you, Riverbees..I don't plan on giving up yet"

:grin:
    btw halley, it's in the rules here, you can't give up...:rules:...........:lol:

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

even a modestly good beekeeper will ALWAYS 'endeavor to persevere'.

18. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I was talking to a guy at work today about bees. I told him I had a year under my belt and he said, "So you know all there is to know now." I like to rolled in the floor laughing. The learning NEVER ends (well, it hasn't yet).

Sorry about your loss. I hope you have a better year this year. I am trying two packages this year, too. We'll learn together. :)

19. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member