And now there's 5

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Jun 30, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Transferred a NUC I bought to 10 frame hive last night and closed it up for transport to join the Middleburg apiary packup the strongest of the hives I have the one that started last October intended to be for a trap out. I was fully suited up knowing it would be dark when I was done. As I was carrying the strongest of the hives to place it on the cinder blocks I noticed the bees were starting to come through the bottomboard screening. Thats when I remembered I hadn't tucked my suit legs into my boots. Aside from being mobbed by the larger of the colonies, all seemed to be gong well, which was a good thing as was full dark by then. As I was walking towards my truck, One of the girls went up my bee suit legs, and planted a sting on the point of my hip. Under my beesuit was wearing pair of thin coveralls she stung right through the coveralls. Knew I had to finish up and be quick about it, riled up bees at night not a good thing!!!
    Barry

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Bee thankful she stopped at your hip! :shock: :lol:
    I went through 4 hives yesterday, no stings till I got to the last hive, smoker was out and I was too lazy to go fire it up. Took several to the hands. My thumb and middle finger are numb this morning. :lol: Should have taken the 2 minutes it would have cost me to relight it.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Worst thing now is you will need to repair the hole in the screen !

Murrell

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol no hole in screening, too large of a mesh
    Barry

5. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I went out one morning to replace some sugar water with only pj's on...one little lady went up my shirt, down my pants..I could feel her in there. Let's just say there was a little dancing going on...and I quickly took the pants off on the front porch..however she had made it into my underwear and so I moved into the house and quickly jumped out of my underwear..she never stung me, but had tried. Let's just say I gave my dtr and hubby something to chuckle about for the rest of the day. I was lucky that day(because a sting on the backside would not have been fun!

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm afraid I can't hold much pity for those who have had a honeybee up the pant leg. The bee up my pant leg was a YJ and it made it to the top. Let it suffice to say a lady doesn't need to worry about a sting where I got that one.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Yeah but I got the lady equivalent once last Fall. :cry:
    No fun at all!

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

All I got to say is 'OUCHHHHHH'

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I understand that some people buy special pills to achieve the same result. One method is a pain in the pocket, the other is a pain in the .... :rolling::rotfl:. Which has the longer lasting results?

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I would assume that with the pills the swelling isn't associated with alot of pain, with the little ladies--can't say the same lol.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Closest I came was wearing shorts and got one on the inside of my upper thigh. Worst bruising I've ever had. Looked like somebody hit me there with a baseball bat. Bruise was the size of a football!

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have been chuckling the entire thread...and squirming at the thought of the possibility...

14. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol not to fear, will become a reality, instead of simply a thought just a matter of time, and how " comfortable " you become lol
    Barry

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

If the sting lasts for 4 hours should you see a doctor?

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

For the "uninitiated", if it lasts ONLY 4 hours, you're a winner. If it lasts 4 days, you're a loser. In neither case do you need to se a doctor.
    HOWEVER, if you break out in hives (particularly on the trunk) or if your throat or your tongue starts swelling and you have difficulty breathing, then get moving fast to your doctor or the emergency room. A general way of saying that you're in trouble is if you have a reaction somewhere on the body not directly related to the site of the sting. A sting on the nose will normally generalize to anywhere on the face or head and is not reason for panic. But if you got a sting on the leg and your chest breaks our in hives, that's cause for concern.

17. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

in a few individuals, one can develop a acute allergic reaction to the sting, resulting in a feeling of numbness and thickening of the tongue, and constriction of the throat. Those that are that allergic should already know it, but some don't, an epi pen should be always available in case of emergence, and to those that are truly allergic, a sting is a 1st class medical emergency demanding immediately medical attention, without which will or could result in death. For most of us a sting is an annoyance and no more---lol some remembered more then other stings
    Barry