and so it begins...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Already with the dead queens... went to grab a frame of brood to start a trapout with and found both my smallest hives were queenless. One had 3 capped queen cells, the other had laying workers. Ugh.

At least I can salvage the one with the capped queen cells by using it for the trapout, but the laying worker hive I just knocked the bees off the frames, added the drone brood to the bait hive ('cause I figure more drones won't hurt for those emerging queens), then added the hive body to one of the other hives that's busting at the seams again (despite getting another super the last time I was up there). I could have made a split from one of my strong hives to replace it, but I kinda figured that this time of year it's better to have fewer strong hives than more weak hives.

The dearth has started, and so too has the robbing, all healthy hives had bucoo guard bees covering the entrances... I'm considering tossing robber screens on all hives just as a measure of insurance against loss to robbing. I wish I had a community feeder, that'd probably cut down on robbing.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ben's writes:
    I wish I had a community feeder, that'd probably cut down on robbing.

tecumseh:
    pot feeding usually will increase the frequency of robbing.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Really? I figured it would simulate a nectar flow for them... oh well.

I recon I must have killed those queens the first time I went out to rob them... that would coincide with the time-frame for capped queen cells. I really need to learn how to bank queens.