And then there were sixteen!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by afterburn001, May 19, 2013.

1. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Our set up as of this morning...
    Our house: 3 hives
    The farm: 9 hives
    Friends house: 1 hive

For a total of 13 hive...

Today my wife and I needed to inspect our biggest hives. One here at the house and two at the farm. The two at the farm we both daughters of our very first hive three years ago. These girls seem to have one mission and one mission only. Make babies and queens and repopulate the planet! Hive # 1 (the original hive), we knew that we would probably have to split even though we already split them once already this year (and this is Washington State!). Hive # 2 is a split from hive #1 last year and has also been split once. We did not expect to need to split this one again. We go a surprise!

We started with hive #2 (double deep with super), packed with bees again and swarm cells. "hon, grab me a nuc". While splitting this hive I accidentally scraped off one of the capped cells, my wife said it was damaged. Oh well, good time to learn... I opened it up gently and a perfect virgin queen emerged from it crawling around on my hand! "hon, get me a queen cage from the bucket". I put her in a cage and then placed her in my pocket. From hive #2 I put a frame of honey, a frame of brood and shook in a bunch of bees. The queen went with this nuc so I still had the new queen in my pocket.

We get to hive #1 (two deeps, two supers) and as expected, she had brought the population back to insane numbers and swarm cells we not in short supply. "hon, get me another nuc please". No queen was found so I think we missed a swarm. You would never know it looking at the numbers. We left the cells, took honey, brood, and bees and installed them in a nuc. "HEY! I found a place for my virgin queen!" I place the queen cage in the nuc and we brought both of them home.

Time to inspect the big hive at home: We did not expect to see any cells in this hive. We were wrong! Rinse and repeat...

I knew there was a reason I made eight nucs! :D

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

You're catching up to me pretty quick.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

There must be a flow in Washington State. Congratulations!

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

You just passed me. I only have 12, but haven't made my splits yet. Hopefully, I will be able to split 6 of them, Have been seeing queen cups, but no real queen cells yet.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sometimes our "problems" boil down to too much of a good thing. May you always enjoy such problems!:grin:

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Congrats and good luck raising all those babies!

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Keep an eye on the queen that you hatched by accident. We did that last year and she turned out to be a dud after a few weeks of good laying.

Good luck :thumbsup:

8. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Indeed. I'm going to mark her when I release her and follow her progress.

Now I need to find another bee yard.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Cool to have the queen hatching in your hand basically. Take some pics, I would have loved to see that.

10. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I would have loved to see the birth of that new queen:)

11. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Update:
    Well, when I last left you I had mentioned that I opened a queen cell that I thought I had destroyed and found that there was indeed an brand new, fuzzy, healthy queen inside. I took this queen that I gave birth to , caged her up and put her in one of the splits. We had some bad weather for a week or more after that so I knew she had not matted yet. Five days ago we got the sun and warmth we needed so I thought I would pop the top and see how my girl was doing. Yep. Eggs! I marked her, patter her on the back for a job well done, took a few pictures and left her to do what queens do.

Here are some shots.

eggs.jpg eggs2.jpg queen.jpg

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

By gosh those are some fantastic pictures! :thumbsup:

13. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Thanks Perry, I'm happy the shot of the eggs turned out.

14. junkhound

junkhound New Member

It doesn't look like she is missing any cells. Eggs in all of them. Great job.

15. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Beautiful photos, especially the one showing the eggs....love it!