Angel Biscuits

Discussion in 'Breakfast' started by beewitched, Apr 5, 2012.

1. beewitched

beewitched New Member

Angel Biscuits: My family likes these and they're pretty easy.

1 package yeast
    5 to 5 ½ cups flour
    3 tsp. Baking powder
    1 tsp. Salt
    2 cups buttermilk
    2 Tbsp. Lukewarm water
    1 tsp. Baking soda
    4 Tbsp. Sugar
    1 cup of shortening

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Sift the dry ingredients together. Cut in the shortening. Add yeast and buttermilk to dry mix. Knead enough for the dough to hold together. Roll dough about ½ to ¾ inch thick.
    Cut with a biscuit cutter and fold in half. (I don't always fold). Place in a greased pan. If you're not folding you can flip them over so that the tops are greased as well. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 to 20 minutes.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Oh, these look like they would be very good biscuits...Now, who has a good sausage gravy recipe to go with them?

I am sure honey and butter will taste good on them this winter but I like me some gravy too!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now try the same recipe with self rising flour, but leave out the yeast, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar.
    Then you have our great, simple southern biscuits.

And no waiting for the dough to rise. As soon as it is mixed into a solid ball of pliable dough, form the biscuits and place in the preheated oven at 400 F. for 14 minutes.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

Where is the honey in them? I know what your going to say, put it on top.

5. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Dave - there's recipes for sausage gravy? LOL

I just grab a big cast iron skillet, brown up a package of sage sausage but stop when it's a little on the rare side. Then I dump in some flour and salt/pepper, make a roux around the sausage bits, then pour in milk slowly, while whisking, until it's "gravy".

...I'm sure at some point it was a recipe with, you know, amounts and stuff.

My Granny, from Poplarville, Mississippi kept a "biscuit bowl" under the kitchen counter. It was a big porcelain lined bowl with a lid PaPaw had made for it, and it was full of flour. She'd pull it out, make a well in the center, and toss bacon grease and/or lard from the 20 year old Campbell's soup can that sat on the stove, then raw milk from the cows and she'd knead it up until it was a ball, grabbing bits of flour from the sides as she went. She'd stop adding stuff and kneading when she had "enough" dough for however many biscuits she was making. She'd hand form them onto a cookie sheet then and bake them up. The flour bowl would have nothing but flour remaining and she'd cover it up and put it back under the counter.

Still to this day the best biscuits I've ever had.

6. Crofter

Crofter New Member

My biscuit recipe is along the same line. The yeast I throw in is for flavor as it really does not have time to develop any leavening effect. Also I use yoghurt rather than buttermilk. We always have some on the go as yoghurt just is so good in and on pancakes, fresh berries, oatmeal etc. You drizzle honey over all and the sweet of it and the tang of the yoghurt are the yin and yang!

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddee! Yes, Hein, I guess I am really looking for a good method vs. recipe. There is as distinct difference in good and bad gravy...It's rare to find a good plate of it....

8. shannonaguilar

shannonaguilar New Member

Sounds delicious. I will definitely try this. I will try mixing this with raisins.