Anise Hyssop

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Eddy Honey, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I planted Anise Hyssop in my basement. I have a heated mat with a Hydro-farm on top so the soil stays moist and the enviroment stays humid. The seed package said 2-4 weeks germination but there are little white-ish sprouts at 3 days. Has anyone else experienced similar results in one of these types of planters?

2. Omie

Omie New Member

I'd imagine any moist warm environment would speed up germination a little. Yours seem a little oddly early, though!
    Once you have a hyssop plant bloom, you'll never need to buy or plant seed again there. I have hundreds of baby seedling now where my hyssop bloomed 2 yrs ago.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

I made a little video showing some bees and a clearwing hummingbird MOTH on my anise hyssop a while back:
    http://youtu.be/Hrrng_k9Jc0

You'd swear that moth was a hummingbird at first! During some weeks I see almost all bumblebees on my anisehyssop, and during other weeks it's full of honeybees with very few bumbles, or bunches of butterflies. I guess it all depends on what's blooming elsewhere at the moment- the 'soup de jour' so to speak! But it's true that this plant offers good food to many various pollinators- it's very pretty and large, and carefree once it's established. A good plant!

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Impressive video Omie.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Now that it has been a couple of weeks, do you feel like the little whitish sprouts were the anise hyssop? Did you use a sterile potting mix? Three days seems very fast, although I have had some germination results that fast under optimal conditions.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Yep..they were it. I've planted more and they sprout in 3-4 days with the hydrofarm and heated mat. These were planted on January 28th.

Attached Files: