Annother queenless hive...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Went to pick up the second start from the block wall trapout and seal off the wall since they're done comming out of the wall... found that while there are still plenty of bees in the hive (they cover 5 full frames both sides), they didn't make a queen from the eggs I gave them initially. That makes 3 queenless hives out of 11... I gave this one just one frame of mixed brood/eggs from another hive that's plenty strong and will just have to hope they do the right thing and make a queen this time. They already have been going to town storing honey and bee bread though, so no need to give them any of that.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I had a trapout problem like you have last year, i gave them a frame of brood with eggs and they raised a queen that never built the hive up strong. I gave her the hive tool and combined them in late Aug. with another late hive with a good queen and have 5 supers on that hive this year. :thumbsup: Jack

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

how long has it been since you put the bait hive out with eggs. If I understand right this is the 2nd hive you have started from this trap out. If this is the case then it would have been there about 3 weeks max. There may be a virgin queen in the hive or a mated one that has not started laying. I would check the frame of eggs in a couple days to see if you have a queen cell.