Annual flower for next year

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Aug 1, 2010.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I will try to keep this short and simple. Kansas State University is the agriculture college here in Kansas. They have trial fields in 3 areas in the state. One happens to be very close to me. They test new varieties of vegetables, flowers, grasses, etc, to see how well they perform in Kansas. And let me tell you, if something flourishes here, that's a big accomplishment.
    Yesterday was their annual open house. They allow the public to come and see and learn by walking through the field trials and set in on lectures and demonstrations. It's also an opportunity for the public to ask the experts questions. I always try to attend.
    In walking the plots of annual and perennial varieties of flowers, I noticed a new variety of portulaca(rose moss) that was covered with honey bees. There were lots of different varieties of pollinators all over, but Portulaca oleracea attracted the honey bees. The name to look for when ordering seeds or buying plants is Portulaca Pazazz Jumbo White or Red Flare. The blooms are larger than the old fashioned rose moss. The bees were packing away the pollen.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

3. srvfantexasflood

Since I started this post, I thought I would update it. I started looking for this annual in all the seed catalogs. I didn't find any so I went out on line. I found that Portulaca Pazzaz series was bred in Israel. It's so new that it is in limited quantities and can only be purchased in plant form. I emailed a well respected grower in Kansas and asked if they would be carrying Pazzaz. One hour later I received a response. She had heard that it did very well in our part of the country and would check into ordering it. Three days later, Arnold's green house, LeRoy, KS, emailed me back to tell me what colors she had ordered. She suggested purchasing them in April as they were in limited supply. Now that's customer service!
    So, it looks like a little road trip for me in April.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

So what colors did you get?

Looks like this is more of a ground cover or climbing type of plant, is that right?

5. srvfantexasflood

The greenhouse told me they would arrive in March and be ready in April. The colors they ordered were Pink Glow, Red Flash, Tangerine, and Vivid Yellow. It's a new variety of good old fashioned rose moss. They will cover the ground and look good in hanging baskets and pots.
    I'm ready for spring. I gotta get my seeds ordered for the rest of my gardening!

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Your bees will love you for the extra blooms. I wonder if they are very fragrant?

7. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

That's good to know! Mama loves moss rose...hmmm...I wonder how I could get some?? We have some of the old fashioned kind but, the bees didn't seem to pay them much attention.

8. srvfantexasflood

I am learning, and others beekeeper/gardeners already know, that the bees are choosy. If there is something in the foraging area they prefer over something else, they will go to what they like best. I have planted things that I have seen bees working elsewhere. In my yard, it doesn't even get noticed. I noticed the bees packing away the pollen on this variety of portulaca at the field trials. At field trials there are 100s of different species of flowers and vegetables. So there is a lot for a bee to choose from. In this case I would say the bees preferred the portulaca over the other choices.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

........or at least that is what they homed in on first.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

3 bushes i have that when they are in bloom the bees are always on them, they are False Indigo (mostly pollen), Button bush, and Vitex, for plants, i can find bees on them anytime i look are Borage,Catnip, and radish blooms. Even when a flow is on and they are working on something else i can always find bees on these. :thumbsup: Jack

11. srvfantexasflood

I find the native bees like the borage, everybody likes the catnip. I've never seen anything working the False Indigo(Baptista) and not much on the Vitex. I was told my bees would go crazy over the Vitex. We have Button Bush growing wild and I don't think I've seen anything on it either.