another africanized bee tragedy in texas

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by riverrat, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Who did the FABIS or USDA-ID to determine they are Africanized, or did they just run the story without checking facts? It takes a while to run ID so I am guessing sensationalism.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well as far as I can tell Americasbeekeeper the answer to your question is no one. it appears the pest control folks who came to destroy the feral hive 'declared' the hive as africanized. one would guess that this kind of sensationalism is good for some folks business.

we use to have a lady at the bee lab who did this kind of work but we are so impoverished here in Texas that we can no longer afford these kinds of services.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

"If anybody has any brush or anything on their lands, please clear it, because they don't want to go through this," Tanya Goodwin said. "Nobody needs to go through this."Um, wut?

4. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

We contacted 1 local Waco TV station about the inaccuracies, that we knew about, in the report. The other 2 stations and newspaper weren't any better. The paper went so far as to quote the Agri-Life Extension web site as saying that Africanized bees will "build hives in many places ignored by European bees, including the ground, tree cavities and walls of houses"...which is not what the report said.

All that can be said with certainty is that the man tragically died and the woman was stung.

The exterminator declared the bees "Africanized".

From the various "reports", he "ran into a pile of wood with a tractor", was "mowing the neighbor's lawn and brushed against a pile of wood", was "trying to consolidate 2 wood piles of brush", "ran into an abandoned chicken coop with the tractor", and, from the CNN report, was pushing over an abondoned chicken coop.

Had I known there was no requirement of accuracy in reporting, I may have been a reporter instead of an engineer. :wink:

Walt

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I think the standards have dropped pretty far in the past few years. (or perhaps they were always low and I'm naive.)

6. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Thank you. Was watching GMA this am and they said 3,000 stings but I had to leave before the story ran.

7. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member