Another bad queen makes 3

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

This is the third bad queen ive had this year so far...its my fault i think...i pushed the nuc hives really early this year...its been uncommonly warm the last few months here...i had lots of drones an 3 hives swarm (one about wiped out my hive) so i had the bees make their own queens....bleckkkk....3 out of 4 suck eggs....one is gone an the nuc had to be nuked...the second queen is just now starting to lay...slowly....an the 3rd is laying all drone brood an will probly have to be nuked as well....sighhhhhh.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Why would a new queen be a dud if there are lots of drones for her to mate with, that's what i can't figure out. Are all the drones too immature yet?

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"i pushed the nuc hives really early this year....i had lots of drones an 3 hives swarm (one about wiped out my hive) so i had the bees make their own queens...
    3 out of 4 suck eggs...."

:lol:, the egg thing, funny....
    well 2kool, as ironic as this sounds, it might have been the eggs the bees were given to work with to make those queens......:grin:(age of the egg is a factor)...lot's of variables after that. you said you pushed the nucs early, how so?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I try to wait until March to divide the hives... in my neck of the woods march seems to be when the bees divide naturally. We had a warm winter And there were a lot Of drones Early this year... so I split some hives... they had the correct eggs so I think the problem was even though I had plenty of drone there were not a lot of other drone around... 1 queen is small and laying like a machine but all the brood is drone brood... the other queens are small but laying worker brood... slowly.... 2 weeks after I split the hives by their supers they swarmed on their own... probably already in progress and I didn't catch it and only slowed it down... that's my guess.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

2kool- can you possibly show us a photo of some brood frames in the hives where you say the queens are no good?

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there are many things that will effect the quality of the queen and are somewhat easy to understand....

up and down weather and most especially cold snaps which drop the temperatures down into the 40 <first this seem to effect cell viability and the hatching date of the virgin queens. very hot temperatures also seems to directly effect the capacity of both the virgin queen and the drones to fly and therefore mating success.

very windy weather (we are getting some of that here now) seems to not only slow down the frequency of mating flight but on some occasions the queens are unable physically to get back to their hives/mating units. I have seen years here when you would find little clumps of bees here and there in a mating yard and somewhere in that mass of bees would be a young virgin who I assume took a mating flight but ran out of energy just before she got back home.

these are ALL things that you can notice directly and there is whole host of issues related to cells hatching and mating success that neither I nor you will ever really see directly but will effect the outcome.

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I think i can get some pics Omie...an yeah Tec...you described this whole winter here....hot, cold, calm an breezy....really wacked out...one nuc i had DID have a queen cause i saw her an thought shed be pretty...she just dissapeared.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

To add to what Tec has posted I have known queen breeders that have culled the virgins out of the mating nucs and installed new cells cause the weather during the optimum mating flight window as not inducent to achieving good mating success. I have greater respect to a person who delays the shipment of queen than one who ships an inferior product.