Another challenge

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by DLMKA, Jun 15, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

A friend of a friend had a swarm move into the eaves of his house just a few hours ago. He obviously wants them out. What do you all suggest? I know i need to act quick before there is any open brood. Smoke and/or Bee Quick with a baited nuc outside the entrance or vac them up as they come out? I'll probably do this tomorrow afternoon, i'll need to rig up a bee vac quick if that's the best route.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would go with the hive waiting outside. Not knowing the size of the swarm, they may refuse a nuc if there are too many bees.

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Bait it with a frame of open brood?

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Not necesssary.
    You're talking about a swarm. The important thing for them is the queen, they're not expecting brood at this stage of the game.
    If they are within reach, I would suggest trying to gently scoop a large numer of the bees, hopefully including the queen in the scoop, and place them in the new hive/nuc. If it countains built combs, so much the better. If you see the bees abandoning the hive, it means you didn't get the queen. Scoop again. After a few tries, even if you didn't get the queen, you should see enough bees vibrating their wings to signal to the other bees that they have found an acceptable home. A little patience should have them finish moving in on their own.

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

IMO I'd opt to go with the bee vac box,and use a design like one Iddee has(Iddee may have plans for that),it's very handy for swarms and easy to use,I like that design better than the other that uses a hive body.
    Also I agree with Iddee to use an 8 or 10 frame hive body,along with a queen excluder on the bottom board below the hive body for a few days.This usually(not always)helps cut down on them absconding until they get settled,and remove it after a few days.If they abscond using the excluder you know you most likely didn't get the queen(or she may have perished in the capture)with the swarm

And like efmesch says it's important to get the queen when you capture them.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

We are assumimg that DLMKA is going to open up the eave? Or is the idea to "smoke" them out with repellant? In such a situation are they likely to rehouse themselves in a waiting box?

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

So even though they already found a home they still have the swarm mentality? They're already IN the house so scooping them out would require some cutting, trying hard to avoid that. Hobing that smoke and/or Bee Quick can get them to reswarm.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Careless reading on my part---I thought the swarm was ON the eaves, not that it had already moved INTO them. Obviously, scooping them is not an option.
    If they've already started building combs there, you've got a ticklish situation-- and that stage can come quickly and with it goes the swarm mentality. Can you vacuum them out of the eaves?
    Very rapidly it could deteriorate into a trapout situation.
    I think Iddee's suggestion is best, bait hive outside placed as close as possible to the entrance to the eave and, I would add, if possible, an exit cone. If they haven't built any combs yet and the queen hasn't started laying, she might follow them out as she is abandoned by her followers.

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I just got off the phone with the guy. I got some bad info to begin with. Moved in 2 days ago (or at least noticed them then) and the entrance is between the chimney and the roof on a summer kitchen. The property is owned by the State of Illinois so getting money will take forever if I get it at all. I'm going to look on my lunch break, the building is 10 minutes from my office. I have a sinking suspicion that this is going to be a cut-out which I'm not particularly interested in doing right now.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As the pink panther said, ""EXIT, STAGE LEFT""

11. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Ha! if it turns into a cutout I'm going to refer him to another guy that does it as a source of retirement income.

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Perhaps a trap out would work, but no matter what your in for a chore, and since apparently it will be for free, better be for love lol.
    Barry

13. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm not doing it for free. The problem is the bill will go to the state of IL, I'll be lucky to get the money to use for Christmas presents. I'll be sure to charge double like every other state contractor.

14. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Guy just called and said the bees were gone. I bet it was a swarm that just clustered there. I should have gone this morning. Dang.

15. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Sounds like the scouts found a better home for their queen....salavie bees...:lol:

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Believe me, this development was all for the better. Be happy they left and you're not carrying the bag, waiting for the State of Illinois to send you a letter refusing to pay.
    Who knows, maybe you'll get a call from someone else telling you of a swarm (the same one?) that just set up from somewhere nearby.:grin: