Another City Council Denies Beekeeping

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by riverbee, Nov 27, 2013.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

just read this, yorkville, Illinois banning beekeeping. some great points made about property rights, here is the article:

Yorkville City Council denies hobby beekeeping

just a few snips:

"In the end, those opposing the amendment said they thought the proposal needed something more for neighbors who might be against it, particularly if they had a health problem, such an allergy to bee stings."

LOL........

“I still have a problem with the fact that there’s no recourse for a neighbor,†said Alderman Carlo Colosimo, 1st Ward. “Someone plops a beehive next to a neighbor dead against it, and there is no recourse.â€

more LOL, ought to live in my city neighborhood, with my neighbors burning couches and furniture in the yard, shooting at hornet's nests, and chickens coops against fence-lines and chickens left to run wherever they want......

"“Yeah, there’s nothing in there that says you can object to it,†Funkhouse said about the beekeeping amendment. “But I can’t object to a neighbor putting in a pool, I can’t object to a fence that goes up next to me that I don’t like, I can’t object to a very large shed that goes in.â€

“Most of the responses I saw asked, why do we need to have it regulated?†she said. “I found nobody adamantly opposed to it. I don’t have a problem with it.â€

City staff pointed out that if there were a provision allowing even one resident to stop a beehive, it would give that neighbor a lot of power over someone else’s property. If the city followed usual protocol for a special use, both sides could plead before the City Council, which would be the final decider."

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

that is a cool article perry!
    i think this is in part, what we need to educate our cities on:

"In his presentation, Hood pointed out that there are many stinging insects. Of the many, honey bees are the least aggressive. It is very unusual for a honey bee to sting in its natural environment"

4. Ray

Ray Member

The town’s planner had recommended refusal on the grounds that bees represented a real or perceived threat[​IMG] and that it might lead to requests for other types of agricultural uses[​IMG].
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

gee someone could decide to keep yellow jackets??? Glad they like bees.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"gee someone could decide to keep yellow jackets??? Glad they like bees."

........:lol:
    i hear ya gypsi!