Another dumb question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by RE Jones, Nov 29, 2011.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I have a "wild" hive that I cut and cropped into a lang. This hive was a mess to start with. They had built it out in the open on a bush on the side of a rock pile where I work. The comb was new and part of it had melted and ran down in the dirt. This hive was removed around the first of October.
    Since I have put them in a lang hive they have continually tied the frames together. I do not mean a small tie in, I mean in the period of a week, they will have a four or five inch comb built between the frames tieing them together.
    I have cut this out twice and when I checked them today, there it was again.
    What am I doing wrong or have I got some engineering bees that think they know what they are doing??
    They are in a deep eight frame box, and the frames are pulled together.
    Thanks, Robert

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Is there foundation in your frames?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like plastic foundation.

Just guessing. Did I get it right?

4. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

The frames that they keep tieing together have the comb from the bush that I cropped into the frames. The very south frame, they have tied the comb into the frame very nicelly. This is the second and third frame over that they continually keep tying together.
    And yes, Iddee, the rest of the frames are wood with plastic foundation with drawn comb on them. They have not tied these together yet.
    Would it help to move the second frame over and install a frame with the drawn comb on it in that position?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It should. And push them TIGHTLY against each other.
    Also, if the tied comb falls over, they will lock it down in that position and build wacky comb around it. Be sure it is tied in straight. If there is no brood in it, remove it.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like Iddee said, put them tight together.The one thing i found out, you don't want to mix wax foundation frames and plastic foundation both in the same box, they will work the wax frames and make a mess out of the plastic frames.Anyway that's been my experience. :roll: Jack

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I suspect it is not just a matter of plastic vs wood.

Talk to Crackerbee about his experience late last summer with trying to get plastic frames pulled.