Another First

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 6, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Went out yesterday to transfer some 5 frame nucs into 10 frame hives.These four nucs were booming last week,the first two nucs everything went like normal (they were deeps) the last two (5 frame Meds. with 5 frame supers on top) was different,i didn't see the queen or sign of brood, but lots of bees?? The other one had a hand full of bees on the frame of honey i put in when making it up, but didn't act like robbers. There was no queen or brood just about 50 bees or so. I think they abscond for some reason? All four nucs were made up with bought queens and were all released by the workers. When i checked them a week ago i found the queens on the frames with the workers and looked like all was well. I've never had a nuc abscond before? Any ideas what happened? Jack

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:???: :confused:
    Don't know what might have happened Jack. Could you add a frame of open brood/eggs to anchor the one nuc with lots of bees but no queen/brood? The one with only 50 bees is probably done. :sad:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Perry, that's what i done, i went ahead and put them in the 10 frame deep and added two frames of brood with eggs. The queen could be there and i over looked her, but she was a bred queen and should of had brood by now? we will see. The one that abscond is the one that's got me wondering? never had a nuc abscond before:???: Jack

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe they felt too crowded in the 5 framer and didn't "know" that you would eventually give them more room on the same spot?
    I'm not saying this in jest---sometimes the ladies have developed senses that we can't understand. :confused:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Many times a colony will migrate to a queen right hive if their queen dies. I'm thinking that is what happened to the abscond.