Another, is it becoming a habit?

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by PerryBee, Jul 31, 2012.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I don't understand how one beekeeper can steal from another. It's kind of like horse thieves and cattle rustlers.

2. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Wonder if it was a bee keeper or one of the idiots that wants easy money for the honey? Tom

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I dunno Tom.
    When I got started the mantra was "Are you in it for the honey, or in it for the money" (pollination). This was probably one of two scenarios.
    # 1 - Some keep had bad losses and tried to make them up by doing this. Sad to think about.
    # 2 - I don't doubt that there sharpies out there who have figured out that simply picking up a bunch of hives and dumping them on some unsuspecting farmer who pays for the pollination (not realizing the hives have been stolen) is a quick way to make a buck.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

All hive boxes and frames should be marked with the owner's ID. Best method, is by branding iron. I confess, that I don't have everything marked, but if someone should steal hives from me, almost cerainly he'll include some identifiable parts.
    Making a plastic stencil by cutting out letters or numbers is very easy. A quick spray of paint over the stencil leaves a good long lasting marking.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

'100 hive frames'.... did someone just steal the frames?

6. Tyro

Tyro Member

My operation wouldn't justify the expense of a branding iron (although I agree that it is the best, most permanent method). I do, however, right my initials on the bottom of every frame. So, if someone pops open a box, they don't see the ID and are less likely they to detect it and remove it. My hope is that if I ever do have a problem, it will help me to track down my equipment.

Of course, I have never had a problem, so I can't really say how well my method works!

Mike