Another lunch hour shot

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

Just before lunch I got a call about a huge swarm in Beaufort. Had to call my friend Kenny to go retrieve them. Apparently, it's so big they won't even fit in a 5 gal bucket. He's gone to get a big box to dump them in and then he'll take them home and put them in a top bar.

When I got home for lunch, one of by hives was covered with bees, all 4 sides and hanging from the bottom. Assumed they were trying to swarm and the queen wouldn't exit the robber screen that I keep on all my hives because of the chickens. Set up a box next to this one, brushed as many bees off as I could and dumped them in the new box. They were very passive--like a swarm--but they didn't sound like a swarm--very quiet. Anyway, went in the house for 10 minutes to cool off (can't come back to work all sweaty!), came out and the girls were still hanging on the box and bees were entering and exiting the new box. Know the queen's not in there, so I didn't expect them to stay, but I had sprayed it w/lemongrass and I'm hoping that will stir some curiosity while I'm off at work until six. Hope they'll still be around when I get home so I can figure out what the heck they're doing. If they do swarm, hoping they'll just go to my old faithful wax myrtle where the majority of my swarms go. I'll let you know tomorrow.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That is a ton of bees to exceed the boundaries of a 5 gallon...! Hoping they stay put for ya...