Another night club swarm 4-14-11

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Apr 14, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Got a call for a swarm at a night club that is in the renovation stages. When I got there is was around back but what I found was a block wall that had several holes with spray foam coming out if them. I asked who had done this and nobody knew anything. Going to do a trap out on them in the morning.

pics to follow.

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Was it also in the downtown area? I got a call from the disk exchange just over the river in South Knoxville, looked like a swarm at first but found they had already moved into the wall... going to screen them off for Saturday because they are having a big event and the bees were bothering customers yesterday. Will start a trap-out on them Sunday.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No these were down on Jackson Ave. in the "Old City", I can't remember the name of the place right now.

Is that the little strip mall with the pawn shop and chinese restaurant, if so I put the sprinklers in that building years ago, use to be a Cas Walkers store and the pawn shop was a drug store.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yep, that's the place.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The owners wanted the bees gone so we decided to do a trap out. This morning I went out to steal a frame of eggs from one of my stronger hives and found a frame that had several capped queen cells. I gently removed one and also stole a frame of mostly capped brood. Took the queen cell and pinned it to the frame of brood with a small frame nail and noticed that she was just about to hatch out, she was starting to cut the cap off of the cell. Got my cone made up and headed out to the trap site.

[attachment=4:2kr72w1y]002.JPG[/attachment:2kr72w1y]
    The queen cell pinned to the brood frame with a frame nail.

[attachment=3:2kr72w1y]003.JPG[/attachment:2kr72w1y]
    The block wall as I found it, this morning the bees had found a tiny hole just big enough for one bee to squeeze through.

[attachment=2:2kr72w1y]005.JPG[/attachment:2kr72w1y]
    Popped a couple of holes in the block with a ball peen hammer to find the bees and give them access to the outside world.

[attachment=1:2kr72w1y]006.JPG[/attachment:2kr72w1y]
    Got the cone in place with some silicon caulk behind it and secured with a couple of concrete nails.

[attachment=0:2kr72w1y]011.JPG[/attachment:2kr72w1y]
    With the tap out set and a big storm coming in tonight I covered the bare plywood nuc with some old rubber roofing an strapped it down to one of the steps with a ratchet strap. Bees were fanning and carrying in pollen before I left.

Iddee does this look right to you? any suggestions?

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Everything looks good except the nuc location. Push it against the wall so they can walk from the plywood cone base to the nuc, without having to fly.You don't trap them when they leave the building. You trap them when they return from the field with a load and can't get back in.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

AAHHH!! That makes good sense, why is it the simple things that always make sense :roll: :lol: :lol:

Thanks

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I've always done mine like G3 had it, with the bait hive making near contact with the end of the cone so that the bees when coming out would have to walk on the bait hive before flying off... they seem to come right back to the bait hive when I do that instead of trying to get into the old hive.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Whatever works is the "right" way.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have always (3 times LOL) done it the way Iddee describes, probably cause that's where I first heard and learned about doing one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note in the second photo that the bees always seem to congregate at the base of the cone upon returning, as this is the area that is closest to their original entrance. In my opinion it makes sense to have the entrance to your nuc (or whatever) as close as possible to this area. In the second photo I was unable to get the entrance any closer without having to destroy some of the historic trim on this house.
    Both ways may work.

(I am just a grasshopper, still trying to pluck the pebble from Iddee's palm). :mrgreen:

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I'm still learning also, but the object of the game is to get bees in the box.

Iddee do you think they will accept the queen when she hatches out? That was one of my main concerns.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't look like iddee, :mrgreen: but it has been my experience that it's not the bees excepting the queen it's the queens court (gards that accept them) if they have groceries they are welcome. Jack

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good question, my guess is yes.
    On another note, how do you guys get your cones to come out so nice? We must have some artisans masquerading as beekeepers here with talent like that. Makes my ratty attempt (sorry rat, no offence intended) pale by comparison. :oops:

[​IMG]

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hardwood, a forum member, tried a virgin queen to see if it would work. The experiment was cancelled by an unknown idiot with a can of spray. He's still looking for another opportunity. You have that opportunity, so I'll be looking for your results.

PS. My bet would be that it will work.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

G3, your spending an awful lot of time at that night club. :mrgreen: Jack

16. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I always just use eggs and no queen and let them make their own queen from that, so I can't imagine they wouldn't accept one that's just hatched... I've only had one trapout where they ended up queenless afterward and that one went so fast (done in roughly 2 and a half weeks) that it's possible I might have picked up the bait hive while the new queen was out on a mating flight (whoops). The rest all ended up queenright and just fine.

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack it is actually two different nightclubs :drinks:

Best part is I think I will get there fire sprinkler service work out of the deal also :thumbsup:

Iddee I will keep you posted on the progress.

I did check on them today but very briefly since it has turned very cool and windy again. The queen did hatch out and have only collected one frame of bees so far. It was too cool to look for the queen for any length of time but did not see her on a quick once over.

Perry I found it pretty easy to roll up when I place it in the plywood, it helped to hold its shape. Took some copper wire (could not find my frame wire) and stitched up the seam

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Brought them home on 4-20 after dark, there were no more bees exiting the cone. I really think the foam spray did them in but I managed to get some of them out. The queen should be or already have been on her mating flight. All I got out of the wall was one frame of bees but they are hard workers. Have not pulled the frame out yet to look for the queen, will get to it in next day or so. I did move the bait box closer to the wall and they seemed to go in a bit easier. Might have to boost them up with another frame of brood or add some bees from a swarm to them after I check out the queen situation.

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Made an inspection of them today and found the queen, looked like she needed to plump up just a little. She should have taken her mating flight by now. The brood has all hatched out except for a little bit of drone cells.

At least we know this trap out accepted a queen cell..............so far!!

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Another piece of good information as a result of someone trying something and reporting their findings, thanks G3! :D