Another NYC Swarm

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Medic1259, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Bee swarms have been in the news on TV at least 1 a week for the last month or so. I think they are causing panic in the city. Businesses are complaining about lost revenue for the swarms keeping Cust away.

What pissed me off was (on the new on tv) the NYPD beekeeper was asked where all the bees are comming from. His responce was " These bees are bigger the normal , so they may from a new beekeeper's hive box."

The 1st Vid makes it look like he is blaming the beekeepers 100% the 2nd not as much..

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/18698608/swarm-of-bees-in-downtown-brooklyn

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-swarm-of-honeybees-alights-downtown-brooklyn

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/186986...art=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7361153

http://bcove.me/yo8jcpq4<------ Vid

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Media, :frustrated:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sooooo.........how is it neglect for letting bees swarm out of your hive, they have been doing this very thing since the beginning of time. I guess in NYC you should have your bees spade or neutered to stop the dreadful onslaught of over sized bees from making massive swarms in trees.............good grief!!! I would like to find several swarms just that size and at that height, don't need no stinkin' pail to put them in either, just a box (but then I guess that would be cruelty to the over sized bees also.

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

Job of journalist(s) used to be to inform people, for a long time now it's only to scare people.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

:mad:...........................

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Do scared people buy more newspapers? Looking at some of the hit movies of the past few years one would think that people like to be scared. The beekeepers should be thanked for making the big apple a scarier place to live. :rolling::rotfl:

7. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

But the NYPD BeeKeeper did not have to say that.. He truely has no way of knowing..

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    What pissed me off was (on the new on tv) the NYPD beekeeper was asked where all the bees are comming from. His responce was " These bees are bigger the normal , so they may from a new beekeeper's hive box."

tecumseh:
    I will tell you that bees from managed colonies are somewhat larger than bees from feral hives. I myself cannot discern the difference but when I took sample of adult bees to the bee lab (just up the road a bit) the lab lady could determine visually if the bees were from a feral or a managed hive.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

g3 said:
    " I guess in NYC you should have your bees spade or neutered to stop the dreadful onslaught of over sized bees from making massive swarms in trees.............good grief!!!"

i was thinking more along the lines of 'ear tags'...... so they can identify the keep and the keep can go retrieve them......:lol:

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

How about requiring a stinger snipper that unarms each new bee as it leaves the hive for its first flight?

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I agree with the beekeeper in the video, the bees probably did come from a beekeeper... Larger bees are a good indication that they came from a managed colony as feral bees tend to regress to a smaller size within a year or two, at least that's been my experience. I don't see why everyone's so up in arms about what he said, either... George Imrie said much worse of beekeepers that let their bees swarm.

:chased:

13. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

The reason I am upset with what he said is only last year beekeeping was made legal in NYC and this year city swams have been on the news every week causing panic...

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I don't think the public minds as much when someone admits responsibility as they do when no one admits responsibility.

15. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

This is NYC everyone has a cause.. and the cause of the week will be the dangerous bees ... and bad beekeepers...

16. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Swarms aren't dangerous.

17. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

You know that... I know that .... Joe Public Dosen't know that and the fear of the unknown has some up in arms.. I am doing a Presentation on Sat ( yea on crutches now) for 300-400 people and that will be my big focus. Not to be afraid.. and all about swarms...

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

bens-bees said:
    "Swarms aren't dangerous."

to medic's points "this is NYC".....and "You know that... I know that .... Joe Public Dosen't know that and the fear of the unknown has some up in arms.."

the general public who are not beekeepers, do not know that swarms aren't dangerous, doesn't matter if its NYC or small town wisconsin......they are afraid of one honey bee classified as a 'bee' on their planet in the same category of yellow jackets, hornets and wasps; a stinging insect building nests under their eaves or trees, or in the grass, uninvited to their picnics, bbqs, backyards and pools, to swat at, flail their arms at, scream and run from, dowse with insecticide, pestiside, RAID or whatever is available, or in my case, a neighbor who takes a shotgun to blow the nest of all over the yard, (was hornets) let alone witness or see a swarm of these 'bees' that they swat and run from and do all of the above.....the media does not help.

i accidentally managed to get on a list for the state patrol to call for any trucking related accidents near me involving honey bees spilled all over the freeway. it is simply disgusting what the media does to hype and instill fear in the public mind. the media likes to play video of all the traffic backed up with folks sitting in their vehicles horrified, including the state patrol,(who says they have everything under control) and the millions of 'bees' flying disoriented and frantically all over the freeway, and dozens and dozens of smashed hive equipment (their homes) strewn about, and maybe video of the fire departments dousing them with water.

i think marbees said in an earlier post, "Job of journalist(s) used to be to inform people, for a long time now it's only to scare people."

riverbee says their job is to scare people and it feeds the minds of those who do not know.

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

medic writes:
    Joe Public Dosen't know that and the fear of the unknown

tecumseh:
    humm... sounds a bit like a self inflicted gun shot wound to me with just a bit of project added in for flavor???

it is 'the media' (who ever that might be???) job to get your attention. the last time I checked ONE of the primary human emotion is fear follow not so far behind by uncertainty... and you expect the media folks NOT to use those?

the folks that operate the cameras generally take shot of whatever they thing will capture the consuming public's eye. you can make or not make of this what you want.

at the end of the day 'the media' has protected many more of our personal freedoms and rights (including the right to know the truth from time to time) than anything else. some small amount of respect for doing this job might be in order.

on the other hand journalism and journalism major GENERALLY conform to Broadway Joe's take on his own under graduate major. <when asked is his major at the University of Alabama was under water basket weaving he said no it was journalism since that was easier.

20. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

River... I know that people all over not just NYC have the fears and dont really know ..what I ment was that this being a big city people are not normally subjected to things in smaller rural areas... Over the last 5 years Deers ar on Staten Island.. when it fifst happen it was in the paper every day... NYPD catching deers running in peoples back yards or drre sightings like it was Big Foot..lol I am waiting for the do-did-do to start yelling Killer Bees because he get stung more then once ..lol