With apologies to Eddy (not wanting to "off topic" his thread). I was out to a good friend I made a little over a year ago (through bees naturally). :mrgreen: Henry and his wife Linda have a beautiful spot on the North Mountain of the Annapolis Valley. Everything they have planted over the years has been with pollinators (all wildlife to some degree) in mind. It is absolutely amazing. Anyway, I first got involved with Henry when I heard of him and his Observation hive. I had heard about him through a customer at Blueberry Acres where I worked part-time. I eventually made contact and have been up to visit him several times since. He had an outdoor hive last fall that was struggling with a massive mite load and despite my using vapourized Oxalic acid twice on it , it succumbed. What really intrigued me however was an indoor observation hive Henry had set up. It was of a design I had never encountered before. It had 10 frames (5 over 5) of shallows, over top of a single deep and a shallow frame. Quite reverse to what you see in a lot of other Ob hives. Of particular interest though, was the fact that this hive has been there for 4 years, with it's original queen, and with absolutely no treatment what so ever! :shock: This despite the fact that an outdoor colony about 100 feet away had been completely over run with mites. Henry says he has never seen any mite damage of any kind at any point in the Ob hive. During one of our visits we came to the conclusion that this was in all likelihood going to be the old ladies last season. We decided to see if we could try and raise some queens from her before she was lost. Henry removed the excluder which prevented her from going up into the storage area and allowed her unrestricted access until the point where the hive was looking overly congested. We then removed the hive to the outside and went through it. Sure enough, we found 4 perfect frames with brood of all stages. I had prepared a mating nuc with 4 - 2 frame compartments and one of each of those frames with all adhering bees was placed into each compartment. All these frames were replaced with either empty comb or foundation. The hive was cleaned up and returned to its fantastic setting and I have whisked the mating nucs off to one of my populous yards. We decide to leave the original queen alone in the original colony, rather than letting it re-queen itself at that point. We both felt that she had earned that right. Thanks Henry, for allowing me access to what is a remarkable colony.