Another question about SHB & Harvest

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Tia, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

I had read somewhere (can't remember where; can't find it) that honey frames that have been slimed can be frozen for 24 hrs and then washed off with a hose; the bees will take it from there. Is that correct? Because I've also read that slimed honey is fit for neither bee nor human consumption. So if that is the case, do they just get rid of the affected honey? I've got a box in the freezer right now, just slam full of SHB larvae. After the 24 hrs, what do I do with those frames?

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well first off sorry about the SHB larvae unfornately your not unique with this--bees will not use the honey contaminated by SHB larvae--but will totally clean it up and reuse the combs.
    Barry

3. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks for the confirmation. I was afraid to give my girls "Poison honey" but didn't want to toss out perfectly good comb!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

barry writes:
    bees will not use the honey contaminated be SHB larvae

tecumseh:
    is this something known or is it closer to some urban myth?

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

While I have yet to be infested with SHB, my dealings with Wax Moth and the mess they make inside supers, the bees always ripped everything down to the foundation throwing out everything. Believe there is enough similarities that can make the connection.