Another question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Buzzen, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

Has anyone noticed a significant drop in their bees using water? I hardly have any on my waterer even though the temps are still mid 80's. They do have a lot of capped honey so maybe they don't need as much? I'm wondering if they found a source they like better. What do you think?

2. rast

rast New Member

Yep!

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

once THEY home in on something it is hard to turn there heads.

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I made a nice waterer with a floating screen so the bees can get water and not drown. I rarely see them using it, but I do see them on every other bird and insect waterer around the place.

Walt

5. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

As long as it isn't the neighbors pool or something like that, i don't care. They have been using the one I set up since they were newly hived.

6. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I set up a 5 gallon bucket filled with water and floated some small lumber scraps on top so the bees wouldn't drown. I was worried they needed extra water because of the recent severe heat wave we just had. Its right next to the hive and they haven't touched it. I have no clue where my bees are getting their water but I have a creek that runs through my property so that would be my guess. I wish the bees would accept help but I guess they have been around a lot longer than us and don't really need us to survive.

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

All my books, and everything I can find on the net says to make sure your bees have an alternate source of water if the usual source dries up. I use 2 five gallon buckets with 1 X1 in. blocks of wood floating in them to prevent drowning. I cut the blocks from scrap wood. So far, in north-central Ohio it's been hot and dry (up 'till last night). I haven't seen a single bee drinking from my buckets, in spite of all my efforts. Just like my kids, no gratitude (lol). I don't think the bees read the same books I did.