Another question--

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Buzzen, May 23, 2012.

1. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

I got the aftermath of a swarm that was picked up by another keep, probably 2 lbs of bees-no queen. I put them in a 5 frame nuc, took 2 frames of capped/uncapped brood/eggs with nurse bees and put in with them. They have been fairly busy, some bringing in pollen etc. This weekend I will check and see if they had an egg to raise a queen, if there is no queen cell, I am thinking of a newspaper combine with a weaker hive. If I do this will they chew through the paper fairly quickly? You do not have an entrance for them to come and go until they chew through the paper and mix with the parent hive correct? Do you use only one layer of paper? This is still new to me, thanks for any replies!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

One layer of newspaper. It will be gone in 24 hours. Some give them a top entrance, I don't.

3. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I just did a combine like this about a month ago. I did give them a top entrance and they were through the newspaper in two days, may have been sooner.

When they comined, I reversed the boxes, just because I wanted too, and it came out great. This hive is booming now.
    Robert

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I do as Iddee stated with the weaker of the two hives on the top using one piece of newspaper and no top entrance. I do however poke some nail holes in the paper to get them acclimated quicker.

5. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know what happens this weekend. And probably have more questions!