another rat scenario

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You have just taken on a new keep to mentor. Having been out in the bee yard with you and having been stung a few times things are progressing nicely. You got them set up with 2 hives he is keeping along side yours. Making it easier to help them out. One afternoon in the middle of august. You have a dearth on and running late getting the spring harvest in. You are pulling honey when your newbee took a sting to the arm and has had a bad reaction and appears to be going into Anaphylactic shock. You are 10 miles from the closest town and 30 from the nearest hospital. You run to the truck to get your epi pen. Only to discover you have left it in the other truck. What can be done to save this young newbees with the limited resources you have. I might add you do have a working cell phone but have a week signal. Fire away

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I not only carry an epi-pen, but I also carry a bottle of children's benadryl. A half bottle of it and an immediate departure toward help. The nearest convenience store or drug store to get benadryl, if you don't have it.

Other than that, prepare to do a Tracheotomy.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I don't carry an epi pen but do carry benadryl in liquid form.

A hasty departure from the bees, keep the victim cool and calm and 10 miles to town is just about 8 to 10 minute ride. No need to worry about the bees, they will still be there when you get back.

If you do have to do an emergency trach, while being clean is a good thing just remember that is why antibiotics are made and you are trying to save a life.

Keep a good eye on your victim, especially if you decide to "load and go", if their throat starts to swell and they vomit even the smallest amount you can have even more respiratory problems.

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Don't know what I'd do, Not good enough to mentor anyone yet but I guess if I did then I'd make sure THEY had a pen of their own.

But if it happened now , a fast drive to town/calling 911 on cel and hope to meet EMS on the way. Jim

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I keep Benadryl in my truck, i would give him two of them,and try not to get excited in front of him,it could only make things worse.Rat, you didn't say how far you were from your house or the other truck. If the other truck was closer than town i would head for it to get the Epi Pen. If not i would head for the hospital and call 911 tell them what i had, what route i was taking,what kind of truck i was in and the color.That i would have my flashers on and to send an ambulance to meet me on the way.If he goes down and stops breathing i would first pull over. Try CPR if that doesn't work, look for a soda straw or take a ink pen apart(use the hollow part) and try inserting one of them in the airway to open it up. You know the ambulance is on the way and will see your flashers. The Tracheotomy can be a life saver or you can kill somebody if you don't know what your doing,So that would be my last choice.but if you don't open the airway, you have 5 minutes tops.Hope i never get into that scenario. Jack

6. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Just like when someone asks me if I can take them mushroom foraging, I always ask if they're allergic to poison oak. I also warn them about ticks, falling, wasps, and branches that fling themselves into your eye. All things that have happened to me or my partner.

Otherwise, I'd call 911 and keep myself and the newbie calm so the toxin doesn't travel too fast in their body. Then after the situation has passed, I would write about it here!!