another rat scenario

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Mar 15, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Your a 2nd year keep who succesfully over wintered 3 packages of bees from last spring. With confidence you descided to go to 10 hives doing 2 splits and buying 5 packages. Your equipment is ready and arrival day is here. You anxiously hive all 5 packages in single deeps side by side of each other. On the 2nd day you noticed no bees flying from 2 of the hives. Upon inspecting the 2 hives with no activity you notice the queens were still in their cages with only a few dozen bees with them. The other hives look to be booming and appear crowded. Realizing bee keeping isnt as easy as it looks. All you can do is wonder what in the world happened and how am I going to fix this mess. Can anyone help this person out of this mess

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Pull a frame or two out of the busy hives. Move the frames to the beeless hives. Move those hives across the yard. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Occasionally package bees get all confused about who they belong to. And when you hive them all side by side they orient together and get a little frustrated at who they belong to when they come home. They go to the front door that smells the best to them. Kinda like I feel in the suburbs. Whose cookie cutter house is whose?

3. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I'm a third year keep, but I don't think I would have the confidence to have 10 hives!!! :)

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like Charla said, or you could try swapping positions of the hives, put the weak hive were the strong hive was (in the afternoon when workers are in the field) and the strong where the weak one was. Jack

5. Larus

Larus New Member

I am glad I read this scenario. It will probably come in handy in the not-so-distant future.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Thats the feedback I like to here on my scenarios. I try to keep them as real as possible hope it helpd thanks.

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Well heck. the easy way to figure out what to do would be , go to my favarite BK forum and ask the GURUs there. :D

Most likely the bees drifted to the wrong hive so as already said, switch weak with strong hives location and or frames with brood and bees from a strong to weak and spread the yard out a little so the ladies don't get confused when they come home. Jim