another "rat" scenario

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Mar 17, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Let's just say that you were out checking your hives and most looked good. One of them you can hear bees against the wall but not near as loud as the rest. "I'll check that first chance I get" you say.

Then you actually had a day where it was warm enough that you figure all your hives should be flying.
    You drive out to check and sure enough, they are.

Except that one, a few bees but not what you'd expect.

It's warm enough to crack the inner cover and you peek inside. Only the last couple of frames on one side have any bees on them. You quickly lift them out and have a quick check. No queen, no brood and only a few hundred bees.
    What would you do?

This is of course all hypothetical and never really happened. :oops:
    Any similarities to any persons (rat) real or imagined are purely coincidental!
    No animals were harmed in the process.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I would shake them off i front of my other hives,remove there hive and anything that they could reconize as home and take it to the house and clean it up to start a new hive or package.
    One other thing you could do is add two or three frames of brood and bees from one of your other hives, one with eggs and let them make their own queen, but this would depend on whether you have drones flying in your area. Jack

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Pull a frame or two from a couple of strong hives(brood,eggs, bees,polen and honey)and build a nuc,queen it or let them do it. Jim

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Combine it. There are no drones in Nova Scotia this early.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

When you say combine it Iddee, do you mean like a newspaper method or shaking them out like Jack suggests?
    I have always wondered about "shaking them out in front of another hive". The whole idea behind the newspaper method is a slow introduction. Would not shaking them out in front of another hive set up a major battle? It is too cold again to try a newspaper combine and I don't know how practical it would be disrupting the good colony by prying boxes apart. If I thought for a second that the bees would be accepted in another hive by brushing them onto the entrance I would do it next fine day.
    Jack, I am interested in your thoughts on this as well.
    Thanks

P.S. (you are correct, no drones here this early. Local queens arn't available around here till early June)

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can newspaper combine when it is 45 F. or more. You can shake when it is 55 F. and sunny, and will be for a few hours. Don't shake them on the porch, but rather 6 feet in front of the hive. They have to have time to realize they are homeless before entering.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i would do as iddee suggested. Shake them out front of the hive on a warmer day. Remember you dont see guard bees on the front porch until it warms up and hive activity picks up.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Perrybee, i don't know what kind of weather you have, i was thinking 50's. By having just a few hundred bees, (two frames?) they have little chance of making it. If you do the newspaper combine,you will be gaining a few hundred bees and then the recipient hive has 10 empty frames (no pollen or honey?) above them to contend with that would stress the recipient hive with the empty space. When i shake bees i will take them 50 ft. or more from my apiary,this way they have more than one hive to choose from :thumbsup: .Anyway that's what my little light bulb was telling me. :lol: Jack