Another Rookie Question...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Indiana Dave, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I'm in the process of removing the frames from my dead hive and putting them in the freezer for a few days to kill wax moth eggs, etc. Do I have to keep the frames of honey in the freezer until I am ready to use them w/new bees, or can I place them back into the deep/medium boxes and store in trash bags at room temp until I need them? Wasn't sure how the honey would do after being allowed to thaw.
    Thanks, Dave

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I freeze all honey I harvest, then store for a month or more at times. It doesn't affect it at all.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an Indiana Dave snip..
    Do I have to keep the frames of honey in the freezer until I am ready to use them w/new bees, or can I place them back into the deep/medium boxes and store in trash bags at room temp until I need them?

tecumseh:
    if you expect to use them fairly quickly then either choice should work fine. generally the idea behind freezing is to eliminate wax moth (generally the egg stage).

4. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Man, you guys are on it!!!
    I put them in there to kill wax moth eggs primarily. Had moths in my maple sap buckets a coupla weeks ago when we were making syrup, so I figured I probably oughta. I don't anticipate using the frames of honey until late April or early May so it sounds like I might as well leave them in the freezer until then. I guess I can remove the drawn out frames with NO honey to make room for frames with honey.
    You guys are great!

5. rast

rast New Member

Just keep in mind that any empty comb that has had brood in it will be quickly attacked by moths if they can get to it.

6. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Since we had below freezing temps for much of our winter here in Indiana, the need to put frames in the freezer is neglible. Also, wax moths aren't typically a problem in early spring. I leave my deadouts outside and don't do anything other than some general clean up. They will be fine until you put new bees in them in a month or two.

7. rast

rast New Member

Another northern (politically correct :D ) advantage. I have moths year round, thus, I always think of protecting against them.