Another sad day in a beeyard (for a friend)

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Mar 29, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Jumped in another beekeeper's truck with him this am, and drove out to some hives he looks after for a grower. :grin:
    Nice sunny day, no wind, but a little cool so no bees were flying.
    38 hives spread out in about 6 yards, all within 5 minutes of each other. He was optomistic because most of his own hives have overwintered well. :thumbsup:
    Things quickly went down hill. Checked 8 hives in the first yard and only 1 alive! :shock:
    When we pulled up to the last yard of 6, he only had 6 alive out of 33!
    The last yard had 5 hives and all were alive so altogether he was 11 alive out of 38.
    He said he was glad I was along, somehow it made it easier. (I could tell it wasn't) :sad:
    He's not sure what to tell the grower.

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Thats got to be hard to take. How much stores were left? any guesses what the problem (s) might be?

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

It's always too many, but this !!! Any clues?

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Had whatever the grower was growing been treated with anything the previous year?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yep... that is hard and not easy for anyone to swallow.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It was a rather large apple enterprise.We actually bumped into the owner later and described the situation (he seemed to take it in stride to some degree)
    He asked what had happened and my friend said maybe pesticides or something else. The grower asked what he could do differently, he had bees there for years. What I picked up out of the discussion (not my place to interfere) was that he sprayed whenever he needed to with little regard as to the bees. I suggested that if he had to spray, to do so in the evenings, etc. to minimize the impact on the foragers at least.
    As well, and without getting into specifics, as we went through these hives I could clearly see things that shouldn't have been in there come spring, as well as evidence of previous years strewn about the ground.

(That is probably one of the things I find the hardest. When you are helping someone and you see evidence of something that is clearly being done incorrectly, how do you broach it without hurt feelings or worse, insulting/offending someone? Same as when you help someone pulling honey and watching them swap frames with brood from the honey supers with frames of honey from the brood chamber when you know there had been treatment in the brood chamber. I have seen this on several occasions.)
    I guess I should say something but it is not in my nature to possibly cause hurt feelings. (A weakness for sure.)

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a perry snip..
    I guess I should say something but it is not in my nature to possibly cause hurt feelings. (A weakness for sure.)

tecumseh:
    odd ain't it how some times folks say some simple thing and it clues you in as to how things really are...

I myself suspect based on the above snip Perry that you and I are stitched together from pretty much the same bolt of cloth. on any number of occasions I have peaked into the looking glass and had exactly the same thought... and likely a long time ago paid some ultimate price for this 'weakness'. now I myself no longer view this character manifestation in this fashion but as the ultimate form of persuasion. a soft glove is capable of accomplishing more change than an iron fist.

your enemies will tell you anything but your REAL friends will tell you when you are right and when you are wrong.

obvious to me.... 'saying nothing' has the capacity to cause harm also.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Choice #1... Hurt feelings

Choice #2... Hurt business and pocket book.

Hope they don't stay mad long. I'm going to hurt their feelings.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It is a tough call, sometimes just a "that's not what I do" type of approach, or even a if you do this here are the end results.

Takes a little finesse and explaining, but the real part is if they are wanting to listen and at least think about what you have shown them. Some people are so close minded that nothing will turn them, some takes time for them to mull it over and decide, others change their practices on the spot. Just different human nature I guess.

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

I know there is a vanity factor involved in beekeeping, after all we are artists:grin:
    Comment like "honey tastes much better when not mixed with frames from brood boxes" should penetrate the other guy's brain.
    I hope.

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I use, "Can I offer a suggestion?" or "can I show you what has been working well in my hives?" or my fathers favorite, "What are you an idiot or something?" lol....boy I miss my 'ole man :)

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Dare I suggest the obvious--recommend that he join the forum and be an active member, sharing his ideas and learning from others.:smile: