Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out this morning and thought I had a robbing problem happening. I went through my inspection yesterday and the day before I opened the hives to check on them. I though maybe two days in a row had one hive on the prowl and they were robbing.

I went in to the yard and could not believe what I was seeing. Another swarm was on the side of a empty hive body. This one is small, probably two softball size. I set a medium nuc down side of them and we will see what happens. They were checking out the deep hive body and several bees were actually cleaning some debris out of the hive.

I'll let them make the decision to move in or not, as this one will have to fed to make it through the next couple of months.
Robert

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got in from work this morning and most of the bees had entered the nuc that I put on the ground. I left them alone and went in and went to bed.

Got up about an hour ago and was going to put the nuc on another hive to get it off the ground. There were two "clumps" of bees still on the side of the hive body. Looked real close and found two virgin queens in these clumps and obviously there is another one in the nuc as most of the bees are in there and a bunch are outside signaling that the queen is in there.

I've heard of swarms with multiple queens, but this is the first I have seen.
Robert

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
are these swarms from your yard? I dont think any of my hives have swarmed yet, Im either doing something right and they are not swarming, or doing something wrong and they are not, even with room a hive that gets too big should want to split anyways should it not? Im sure some of my hives have replaced there queens, the 2 marked clipped queens are gone I know that, and the 1 queen I clipped is replaced, I dont know maybe Im thinking this 1 out to much.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I know of 1 hive I have that swarmed, I had someone else's swarm move into one of my boxes in the back yard, and 1 cut-out and that is it so far this year. :confused:
Given the number of hives in the area, I am somewhat surprised at how quiet it is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zookeep, both of the swarms that I hived, came into my bee yard. None of my hives are in swarm mode as of yet.

While the inspector was out at my yard, she commented on the first swarm that I caught in my yard. All of the bees are the same color and size, there are no mutts in both of these swarms. They are coming from someone else's hives in my neighborhood. The inspector thinks she knew what hives they came out of as she was inspecting in my area that day.

My TBH is getting close to swarm mode as they are getting full. I checked the day before the inspector came out and there were no queen cells as of yet. I will be keeping a close eye on them for the next few weeks. I do have another TBH ready to do a split if I need to.
Robert

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I've heard of swarms with multiple queens, but this is the first I have seen.
Robert
This response may be coming too late to be practical, but I would suggest making every effort to hive those "extra" queens together with their clusters of bees. Remember, they are virgins and if you can get them mated, you would be able to use them to replace any of your other queens that you might find unsatisfactory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts