Another swarm on the ark.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by dsnaproll, May 15, 2011.

1. dsnaproll

dsnaproll New Member

This is #14 in five days. Waited a little too long to get the top on and they went to the air again. About 10 minutes in the air and me waiting for them to land on something, they lit on a big tree... no, just a bush in the field. Found a small ball of them with the queen while most of the others were in the air and stuck them in the hive. All is good now. I will have a rock'n honey producer in 7 days with this one.

I think I'm going to do an Ole timer trick to work these hives. In front of the hives they take a digging bar and make a 1" hole 1 foot in the ground and cut a small sapling and stick it in the hole during swarm season. Or make a fence 6' high and put some empty boxes on top.

Is this enough pic's?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice pictures, Wow! :mrgreen:
    I heard a story (forget where) about someone going to an old timers yard and seeing a row of fenceposts with cross bars ( like a T ) out in front of his row of hives (I forget how many feet out). The old timer said that on many occasions when he went out to his yard, there would be a swarm hanging off one and he would just collect it. Seems like a reasonable approach for not much labour, especially if you can't always get out to them when you want.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's not fair. Your swarm is as big as both of mine put together. :D

I think you just need to wash the boat down with lemongrass oil.They seem to like it well enough.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Are these swarms are coming from your own hives?

On the old-timer trick... will the sapling stay alive for the duration of swarm season or does it die quickly? Just curious, not that it likely matters any so long as the bees go to it... I like that trick by the way. Very clever.

5. dsnaproll

dsnaproll New Member

They are my bees. I have been splitting and building bees for honey. It seems to be a fine line for a big honey producing hive, or I need to have more entrances to give the feel of no overcrowding.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

While I agree that a strong and populous hive will no doubt gather more of a harvest than one of a more modest size, it does no good to have them at the point where they throw swarms. Everytime a hive throws a swarm, those workers that leave (40%-60%) do so with a full gut of honey that they will then use as the building blocks for their new home (comb production, etc.). This would seem to me to be counter productive to a goal of maximun honey harvest.
    Perhaps better to do your splits before they get to this point.
    My memory fails me (no big surprise there) as to how long you have been keeping so I am not critisizing ( if it sounds like I am I apologize), merely verbalizing that swarming is what most keeps trying to maximize honey production try to avoid (and admittedly not always succesful at either :oops: ).