Another Swarm?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 28, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

:shock:

I've only had my 2 nucs hived since the last week of April. There has been a strong and steady nectar flow since then.

We captured a swarm 2 days ago.

This morning there was another swarm this time on the post and rail horse fence.

Can this really happen so fast? I feel like the swarming hives would run out of bees if they keep splitting like this and that I won't be able to build them up enough before fall.

Nothing is normal to a neww beek! lol

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

They may not be from your hive!!
    Did you see them come from your hive?
    Could be a neighbors or bee tree in the area.

When you say "nucs hived", are they still in the nuc box or did you put them in some ten frame gear?
    Have you checked to see if you need to add a super to them?

A strong five frame nuc, even after switched over to 10 frame gear, can fill out the other five frames in 30 days very easily and become over crowded.

Have you checked your hives for swarm cells?

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I had swarm cells several weeks ago. The other 3 hives including the recent hived swarm from 2 days ago is bustling with activity.

I hived the nucs on April 25th I believe into an 8 frame deep with mediums on top.

I couldn't tell if they were from my hive. There is nothing but farms around me and no beekeeping neighbors for at least 2-3 miles

Luckily the wife bought an extra bottom board inner cover and top cover. I put it near the swarm after they were done collecting on the fence and things were quiet and they made a mass entry into it then all hell broke loose it seemed with bees flying everywhere.

Thanks G3.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

A hive will at times issue a primary swarm followed by issuing some after swarms.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Do these primary and after swarms each have their own queen?

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

yes usually the old queen will leave with the primary swarm but not always. The others usually will have a virgin queen. A swarm if no queen issues with a swarm it will go back to the hive they wont stay where they gather

7. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I'm embarrassed to say that we've had a hive that issued two swarms within 10 days of each other. Needless to say, we've learned our lesson but good, and so far, have had no swarms this year.

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I lost this swarm or maybe in a perfect world they were queenless and went back to their original hive. I had set out an 8 frame deep with wax foundation and a ramp. My daughter and I went into the meadow to look for a good place for this new hive. We were gone for 5-10 minutes tops and when we got back the swarm was gone without a trace. I figured they'd be in the new hive I set next to them but no...just gone...I was moping around looking for them when my wife declared that she has become a "bee-widow" lol.
    So I still got 1 extra hive out of the whole 2 day ordeal and 2 extra 8 frame deeps and components. All in all a good weekend lol!

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Don't keep me in suspense! What's the lesson!!! :frustrated:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

yep, when the scouts come back and make a mass decision to move on, it don't take long.

11. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Sorry to hear that your swarm didn't stay! We've had them do that to us before. It's kind of disappointing, especially when you don't catch it and then learn a year later that the farmer down the road caught them and kept them!

When the queen hits go mode in the spring the only thing you can do is try to keep up. She starts laying and usually doesn't quit until the honey flow is over. The bees will decide that it's time to swarm when their hive gets too crowded, and it doesn't take long. They won't run out of bees, they know what they are doing. That's why they make the swarm cells before the queen leaves the hive. Our first year we had at least one hive swarm and we didn't know it until we opened the hive to find it queenless! We immediately called our mentor who helped us figure out what was going on, told us that the hive probably had a virgin queen, and we needed to leave it alone for a while. It took us a while but we have learned that making splits and nucs are the best method of swarm control for us.

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have seen my hives issue a swarm land in a tree once I saw where they was gathering I went and got my ladder and a hive set up. when I set the ladder up they took off and headed south. 2 weeks later a neighbor 2 blocks down the street called wanting me to remove some bees that had just showed up and was building a hive inside his soffet. Sure would have been easier for me if they would have waited a few minutes and let me get them in a box instead of having to do a trap out

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It's pretty wild to see the scouts doing their little waggle-dance on the outside of a swarm. Those people who know how to decode the waggle-dance might even be able to figure out where they are going, but I don't know it. But it is interresting to watch them dance and the more vigorously they dance, supposedly the better the location is.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ben, if the dancer is facing up, they are going to go straight for the sun. If she is facing 3 o'clock, they are going 90 degrees to the right of the sun. If she is facing 6 o'clock, they are going directly away from the sun. ETC.

15. milapostol

milapostol New Member

To give them more room and to keep up with inspections. Our swarmy hive builds wax fast, much quicker than our other hive. They need a lot more room. :hi:

16. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I added a honey super (hive has 1 8 frame deep and 3 mediums now) to the swarmy hive even tho' they have a virgin queen as of 4 days ago. There were swarm cells nonetheless so we'll give 'em room.

I have 1 more empty hive so I've been reading up on doing splits and am taking into consideration how late in the season do I want to do a split here in NJ.

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just asking..........but you say the hive had a virgin queen 4 days ago and you have swarm cells :confused: , I would be wondering how this came about!

18. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

This hive swarmed last week and I'm thinking they made many swarm cells. 4 days ago some cells remained until the queens emerge.

Either that or they hate me! lol