Anticipation

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Dunkel, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

Well with the hot weather and my wife and oldest out of town I got bored. I had been wanting to prank around with some of my hives and raise a queen or two and decided I have a good candidate to use in my experiment.

The victim hive was one that had just built up the second deep and was packed with brood. This was a hive that I had neglicated in the fall. I had ran out of screens to keep the mice out and didn't get back to it until December. Well I guess I closed the sucker up in there. Anyway, I found a hive really messed up in the bottom and a reduced number of bees in the spring. I sort of ignored them and she had built up during the spring and early summer on their own. Since this was the only hive without out at least a couple of supers, except for the russian hive, the victim was chosen.

On June the 26th I pulled the queen and a couple of frames of sealed brood and a honey frame. I checked the hive five days or so later and sure enough I had four frames with queen cells. The next week I pulled those and made two more nucs and left one frame with a cell in there. Since then I have only fed a jar or two of syurp, mainly for the water and peeked in the top.
    I am dying to know how things went but I don't want to mess things up. Its not a big deal if they go belly up but I don't want it to be my fault. I plan on putting the nuc with the original queen in a full deep this weekend since most of the brood has hatched. By my estimates I could find eggs as soon as a week from Saturday, am I in the ballpark on my figures?

Not a good thing for the bees for a science teacher/cattle farmer to have spare time on their hands:wink: Next year the Hopkins Method, anybody tried it? Grafting is starting to be a problem with the eyes.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have seen eggs 5 days after the queen emerged, but the average is 12 days. It can be as many as 20 days.

3. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

Thanks for the reply Iddee, So I am somewhat in the neighborhood.

If any of these queens turn out ok the russians mother is going to spend the winter in a Nuc. Imprisonment for her Majesty. This has been a hive with genetics that require more management than I can give it. It has drove me nuts with swarming or just making one super extra. It is a survivor, It pulls through no matter what, but dosent produce for my area. I think since one of main flows is poplar and they just don't get with it soon enough or if they do they swarm. Oh well they were worth a try.:???:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Interesting about the Russians. Keep us informed. :thumbsup:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dunkel~
    "This has been a hive with genetics that require more management than I can give it. It has drove me nuts with swarming or just making one super extra. It is a survivor, It pulls through no matter what, but dosent produce for my area. I think since one of main flows is poplar and they just don't get with it soon enough or if they do they swarm."

i keep russians and mutts of dunkel, they have some quirky things about them, but you are right they are survivors. not sure why they are not producing for you in your area, maybe it's just not cold enough for them in kentucky:lol:

6. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

Riverbee it definitely wasn't last winter. This is the last of five russians I tried and I am sure she is a mutt by now or at least the drones available were. Quirks is a very good way to describe these bees. Apparently, I have a tendency to over do everything until the point I have very little extra time to micro manage. But apparently when I do get caught up I bring something like trying to raise queens upon myself. Which in return means having to put together more frames and hives bodies, Sometimes I don't fully think through my actions:smile: