Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding that most Canadian sources are pretty expensive when compared to American sellers. Are any of you Canadians out there buying gear from the American sources?

Is it still economical, after shipping/customs/exchange?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
967 Posts
Adam, I am just thinking about putting an order together from the US. I am only an hour and a half from the Michigan Sault border and make the trip quite often. There is a freight depot that you use as the mailing address on your order. All you pay is canadian HST when you bring it back. Most border towns have a similar service.
I can get Canadian prices that are not much higher but shipping kills us so am contemplating ordering from one of the free shipping US suppliers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Frank,

You say you can get Canadian prices which aren't much higher. Where is that, and what are the prices there?

I'm looking at Western Bee Supply, and their budget frames are 0.45 each for deeps and mediums. That's pretty cheap...

Adam

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I just looked at Western's web site, pretty good prices, I know nothing of the quality though. They have a special on right now, 2 deeps with 20 plastic frames, bottom board, inner and telescoping cover for $75.00. That would be hard to find for that price up here unless you buy in quantities in the hundreds.
Some places up here charge $55 (plus taxes) for a made up deep with 10 frames. You have to shop around and with our dollar being close to the American buck it may pay off to look south.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Adam Foster Collins said:
Hi Frank,

You say you can get Canadian prices which aren't much higher. Where is that, and what are the prices there?

I'm looking at Western Bee Supply, and their budget frames are 0.45 each for deeps and mediums. That's pretty cheap...

Adam
Wow, that is a good price for frames; I would like to see them before I bought a whack of em though. The prices I found reasonable were from Beemaid Honey in Manitoba but frames approach $1 and shipping is half that again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read a number of reviews on other forums. People say that the budget frames can vary. Some said as many as 7-10 out of 100 might be warped. But at that price, I can deal with those odds...

Their premiums are still only 69(?) cents...

They are now looking into shipping costs for me. We shall see.

Adam

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi Adam,
Last year ordered 100 deeps from G.Weitzel in Texas. Price per unit $12.00 shipping to Toronto and brokerage included.Order was late, but quality was good.
This spring told supplier from Toronto, that I'll get my 100 deeps from PA at $10.50/each, they gave me slightly higher price than PA guy, so I took it. Couldn't justify trip to PA.
When getting a shipping quote always go with commercial/industrial address, you 'll save at list a couple hundred. Regards, Branko

·
Registered
983 Posts
Adam,
Lots of trucking companies have their yards on the both sides of the border.
Gene was using company from Texas, he got quotation from them for ~ $300+ to ship my skid to their Toronto yard. They provided broker's phone number, here in Toronto, called the guy, gave him my MC number, charge was ~$100 and next day my skid was delivered to my friend's shop. Easy as that.
Definitely, go with supplier's trucker, always better deal.
Hope this helps, Branko

1 - 11 of 11 Posts