Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I am with gunsmith here.

I seem to recall the most probable distance between original location and new nest site as about 600 feet (gave away my copies of Seeley and Wilson to the bee club so I cannot really check this number for accuracy).

on the other hand (and contrary to my prior post) if the original queen in the hive was clipped you would want any swarm trap or bait hive to be right close to the existing hive.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I'm with gunsmith also. When putting up swarm traps, often times i have scout bees checking it out before i get off the ladder. Of course it's probably the scent of the lemongrass oil that brought them in, but they do go in and look things over. Like it or not,swarming to bees is like your childern, sooner or later their going to leave home and theres not much you can do about it. :roll: Jack

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
In my area i put them out the first of May our honev flow starts around mid May. I use a deep brood box with a solid bottomboard, 8 to 10ft high and at least 300 yards from my bee yards, i found that if a large swarm comes in and the swarm box is to small they will leave within a day or two.Hope this helps. Jack

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
jack writes:
Like it or not,swarming to bees is like your childern, sooner or later their going to leave home and theres not much you can do about it.

tecumseh:
about the best advice I can image to ANYONE new to beekeeping who is reading some manuscript that is designed to reduce or eliminate swarming. actually if I did read something that preposed to totally eliminate swarming I would know with out any doubt that the author was full of hot air and likely not much of a bee keeper either.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
rail: What about the color of the swarm trap, does it matter?

gunsmith: I don't really think the bees are too concerned with it, however-I read in one of the bee books that you may want to paint it a color that blends in with the background. Not for bees, but to prevent vandalism. What vandals don't notice, they don't vandalize.

·
Registered
728 Posts
rail: What time of year do put them (swarm traps) out ?

Barbarian: It varies according to your area and conditions. In my area swarms used to show up in late May and early June. In recent years we have had swarms in late April. There are no fixed rules. Years ago, I was told that a colony would not normally start queen cells until there were drones about ---- any comments ??

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
the Barbarian (quite like the name) writes:
There are no fixed rules. Years ago, I was told that a colony would not normally start queen cells until there were drones about ---- any comments ??

tecumseh:
there are no fixed rules or all the rules are subject to being bent?

in an emergency situation drone or no drones a hive will generate queen cells. in the two other* situation with no drones the rule would seem to apply.

*the book generally describe three reason for a hive to begin rearing a queen (swarm, replacement and emergency).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts