Any other TBH users on here?

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by mailahn, Feb 22, 2015.

1. mailahn

mailahn New Member

Hey everybody, just wondering if anybody on this forum uses TBH's? The last post is 2013...... I am a newbie this year, just ordered my bees two days ago!

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome mailahn to the forum, you need to let us know where you live so that we can better answer you about your hive and there could be some one close that could give even better advise. There are a few on here that have TBH hives so maybe they can help you.

​Ken

3. mailahn

mailahn New Member

Hey ken! Thanks for the reply! I live in northeast wisconsin, about 30 miles from Green Bay. GO PACK. I have been reading books and forums and bee websites like crazy trying to soak in as much info as I can. Also talking to a couple local guys, but haven't found anybody close yet that does top bar. Thanks again.

Seth

4. beezykeeper

beezykeeper New Member

Mailahn,

This is our first year beekeeping and we build Warré style top bar hives. Just wanted to let you know your not alone. How have your hives been doing? What kind of top bar hives are you going with?

5. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I'm a top bar hive beekeeper ! (Newbie) :)

6. Beelinda

Beelinda New Member

Warre Hive newbee here in SW Oregon. Started with hygienic survivor stock. Doing lots of reading and following blogs. Happy to learn and share. Package was installed 10 days ago and weather has been anywhere from 40 to 80 degrees. Bees seem happy and busily making comb. Yesterday found 5 combs almost complete in top box. Didn't see queen but hopefully she will be laying soo.

7. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Survivor stock here too. Non treated & I don't plan on treating them :)

8. camero7

camero7 Member

Beep, you need to monitor your mite level whether you plan to treat or not. If it gets too high, particularly with all the virus that the mites vector, you'll want to treat or lose them.

9. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I'd like to treat them naturally if there's a problem when I check their mite level. I was told I could treat them with powdered sugar when it comes to Veroa mite

10. camero7

camero7 Member

Powdered sugar has been pretty ineffective. IF you need to treat I recommend either formic acid or oxalic acid. Both are natural to the hive, both are found naturally in honey and both can be quite effective toward mites.

the MAQS are probably the easiest and safest for a new beekeeper. You can read about them here: http://nodglobal.com/maqs-usa/

they are reputed to be effective, although I've never used them. I use oxalic acid vaporization but that takes a vaporizer. Unless you can find a local beekeeper with one, it certainly is too expensive for one hive.

11. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Have you tried powdered sugar?

12. camero7

camero7 Member

No, haven't tried it. Beep you are inquisitive and smart. You should spend some time on Randy Oliver's site... http://scientificbeekeeping.com/ ... search for powdered sugar and see his results, which weren't that bad. You can also read about lots of serious beekeeping. He is a commercial beekeeper and a scientist. I listen hard when he speaks.

13. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

14. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

Im a nub at bee keeping and lost my hive last year to mites, it was heartbreaking..this year I will treat with OA...I try to go as natural as possible, but rather go with a proven method than risk loosing another hive ...I made my own vaporizers for less than $10.00 in parts and easy todo, I have a thread on the forum on how to make them...good luck..

Gypsi likes this.
  15. randyo

randyo New Member

just switched to a top bar hive, just the ease of installing the bees, I will never go back to a Langstroth hive again, but honey is not my primary goal, zucchinis in my garden is[​IMG]

16. camero7

camero7 Member

It's pretty easy to install in a lang also. Where are you located? I've not been successful here in MA with them.

17. randyo

randyo New Member

so far so good, been 3 weeks since we installed the bees, 8 bars completely filled out with comb and healthy brood in 7 and working on the last one, we added 8 more bars.

we're in lakes region NH, what was your issue? surviving the winter?