Any suggestions or tips?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Versipelis, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

View attachment 9974 View attachment 9975

Does anybody have any experience with removing a open-air hive? It's 7' high... My plan is to cut the limb and put it into a cardboard box, then transfer it to a deep. What should I do with the comb? Any hints on how to do this successfully?

2. DoubleR

DoubleR New Member

I can not help you with your problem BUT WOW! That is absolutely incredible! I wish you luck! I'm sure others will have answers/help to offer.

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

Take some empty frames with no wax or other in and cut the comb to fit the frame, dose not have to be perfect and rubber band them in, usually 3 or 4 per frame and the bee will have it fix to the frame in no time and will cut the rubber bands and drag them out the front door.

‚ÄčKen

4. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

Great idea Kebee. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the reply.

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yep I do it all the time, love the open air hives, I use a bee vac while I cut the layers of comb off 1 at a time, look for the queen and put her in a cage the moment you find her, then put the cage at the bottom edge of a frame that you band some comb into and the hive will stay.

6. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

Good info, I will incorporate into my removal.