any tips on stopping a swarm leaving the new hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by shan, Jul 4, 2012.

1. shan

shan New Member

Hi all,
    We have recently collected swarms and put them in the new hive only to find the next day they have gone , should or shouldn't they be fed syrup{we did feed}, also because we are new and don't already have drawn frames could this be the problem, any ideas will be greatly appreciated thx
    Shan

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Bees are reluctant to abandon brood but given that you don't have a frame of brood (or even drawn comb), maybe a few drops of lemongrass oil on a cotton ball?
    If you can find the queen when you hive the swarm, leaving her in a queen clip for a few days would probably do it.

3. shan

shan New Member

Thank you for the speedy reply ,If we take a brood frame out of our 1st hive {in the garden} and add this with the swarm to the new hive will this be good ?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yes, if there is open brood (not capped is better) it should anchor your swarm.

5. shan

shan New Member

Thx Perrybee we will do that if and when we get another swarm , so far we have had 3 and only kept 1, we are feeding this one with syrup because in the uk the weather is so poor not sure if this is the right thing to do but its better than letting them starve , when we checked the other day there was nice arcs with brood in the middle some capped and on the outer edges what I suspect is the syrup capped not honey maybe be a bit of both , do you think now is the time to stop feeding?
    thx in advance
    Shan

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Anytime I catch a swarm I feed until they stop taking it. A swarm has a lot of new comb to draw and needs the resources to do it.

7. shan

shan New Member

ok thanks we will keep feeding then my hubby says we should and now it is confirmed:thumbsup:

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I always place a queen excluder between the bottom board and the deep so she can't leave. Leave it until there is brood in the box and you've got 'em. A friend of mine and a beekeeper for nearly 50 years gave me that advice. Good luck.

9. shan

shan New Member

Thanks Wayne sound advise :thumbsup: the great thing about this forum is that you are all giving advise not like some of the uk forums some of their answers simple say "read a book" :sad:

10. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Good advice bamabww:goodpost:,my state bee inspector told me the same thing,and so far I've tried it 4 times,and each time the swarm stayed put.